BOOM! Future 5* Jarace Walker Commits Thread

What does Walker bring to Houston?

C.J. Holmes, college basketball staff writer : When Walker’s AAU team took the court last May at the Under Armour showcase event in Atlanta, coaches were buzzing about the 6-foot-7 forward and for good reason.

Among the power forwards in the 2022 class, Walker stands out by a mile with his impressive physicality in the post, which is complemented by his versatility as a passer, shooter and scorer.

Walker is a player who will get it done for the Cougars in a variety of different ways and he’s expected to continue to improve at the college level. In all, Walker is an NBA lottery talent that will keep Houston in the national conversation.

5 Likes

“It was wild meeting them in person,” he said. “The conversation wasn’t too crazy, just what it takes to get to the league. One thing that (Olajuwon) said that really stuck with me is they will always be here. That even though I just met him, that I’ll always have him in my back pocket. A guy that I can really learn from, that will help me develop, it meant a lot for him to say that.”

20 Likes

No pessimism toward or about him. I was all about him his freshman year when there was still even debate re him versus Mills or those who decidedly had Mills as the preferred son. Still love the guy, but I don’t like him as a distributor. I have stated previously that I believe it hurt and inhibited him when he had to play that role or assumed it.

Well if Sasser has better standing than Grimes did at this time of the year last season then it should be as in the Grimes role (which I’ve supported in previous posts), or how else would the be grading him as? Certainly not in the distributor’s/Deeky role.

Hope it works out for the best. Hope his shooting doesn’t suffer because of it. He shined at times last year, but had an extended drought period during conference as well.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/overtime/status/1456420151868469249

https://twitter.com/PaulBiancardi/status/1456414525973049349

1 Like

This should potentially entice more 5 Star Prospects to join us in the future.

7 Likes

Wow, biggest boom ever!

Go Coogs!

5 Likes

I think I remember seeing Grimes on a top 100 prospects list here and there and don’t recall seeing Sasser on any yet.

Grimes also just needed a consistent 3 ball to become an early second/late first rounder and that’s exactly what happened. It wasn’t a crazy stretch either to see him adding that because he had really good mechanics on his shot.

I’m not sure what Marcus could really even do to become a legitimate draft prospect. He struggled when guarded by long athletic players. He will make a living playing pro ball but I can’t really see it being in the NBA.

3 Likes

Caleb is still a student at UH, just not playing this year. Or maybe future years, no idea.

Caleb is pursuing a degree in Engineering. He decided it was time to focus his energy on his future. It was always fun to see him come into the game and score. We should wish him ALL the best. Brooooodooo! Oh, and yeah, WELCOME JW! Go Coogs…

13 Likes

People have already posted lists on this site with Sasser on them.

I haven’t seen those posts but I’m sure Pesik will dig them up.

If there are legit draftniks (which is definitely not me) that right now have Marcus drafted or just outside of getting drafted now it’s probably not going to change my opinion but I’ll be less resolute with it for sure.

I will say that outside of the top 20-30 guys most draft analysis at this point doesn’t consist of much. So being on lists or off them right now doesn’t mean all that much.

1 Like

Sasser was a highly rated 3 star I believe

No he was rated pretty low, like 397

It really shows how well our staff spots talent…I mean look, how many folks knew about the Jarace Walker kid lol…

3 Likes

Sasser was rated right outside the top 150 by rivals. He was the 43 ranked SG in his class. #40 was ranked 147 overall. 247 had him lower. In any event he’s a good to very good to potentially great college player, but prospects his size and skill set have a hard time making the league. Grimes on the other hand had prototypical NBA size. Someone mentioned Carsen Edwards as a comparison but compare edwards’ stats and efficiency with sasser’s—it’s not close. And even Edwards wasn’t a first round pick and is out of the league after two years. Not to say it is impossible but it will be much harder for someone like Sasser to break into the league than someone like Grimes.

3 Likes

While the NBA is every player’s goal, for most it isn’t realistic. The good news for the next tier is that with hard work and flexibility, a good player can make a very nice living playing overseas (see Michael Young) while plying the craft he (presumably) loves and getting to experience another part of the world. Not a bad way to launch one’s adult life.

Many of us internet warriors treat the NBA or bust scenario as binary, but astute players know not to. Wish I had had that kind of opportunity as a young man.

3 Likes

grimes wasnt any on any top 100 draft boards…at all… he wasnt even on top 100 draft boards after the regular season ended… which I was upset about

Sassed is seen as a top 30 national player coming into the season

I know you were being facetious, but it is still somewhat true, as we were among the very first to begin recruiting him.

1 Like

I thought Tito Horford was a top 10 pick out of Marian Christian before he was ruled in eligible.

Really my point is that this staff has proved it has a good eye for talent. Armoni was another under the radar kid along with Galen and we came close to making a final four with them.
I am thinking that Jarace is a Sampson type kid, not a prima donna but at the same time knowing he has rising stock as a future NBA player.
Some may not believe me, but my guess is that there are 5 star players out there who would not fit UH’s culture.
I would take a group of two and three star players hand picked by this staff over many of the higher rated players going elsewhere…
Sampson has had a great career but I truly think his legacy is being carved out as we speak…

5 Likes