Boren Backtracks his Flip-Flop

Apropos thread title.

I’m expecting him to say that he actually did vote for expansion before he voted against it.

1 Like

All I know is that I’m getting sick of this guy.

I can’t imagine the legacy Boren will have if they don’t expand and the B12 melts down. What a cluster puck.I can’t believe we have almost 3 more weeks before the meeting. I can’t imagine this chatter to calm down, although I’m surprised someone isn’t pulling these guys aside and telling them to shut up. I understand you fellas who say that this “leaking” is calculated and part of the land of political posturing, but every time Boren open’s his mouth, he opens the floodgates for more criticism of himself and the B12.

I do have to say, sans the stress of where the Cougars fit in all of this, I am enjoying the soap opera.

This is just Boren being Boren. He’s a career politician that loves the spotlight.

To be fair to him, his talking now at least makes sense in that he’s now head of the Big 12 presidents. Still, I think a lot is being leaked from the OU side as there are warring factions internally that are trying to influence things. Lot of folks there want the Sooners to move on.

If you’ve ever played the board game RISK, you know how a position of strength can be lost quickly and how the composition of the board can change dramatically in no time at all

If we get back to this being about $ and prestige, and then assume that there will be no expansion and thus no honor/prestige, the the Big12 exposes themselves as the weak link. The conference participants negotiate a higher payout and no expansion which is probably worth more than expanding in a conference that is no longer a going concern.

Except… What if Texas does have something up their sleeve? What if they take the Texas teams plus BYU and make a two division Pac-20?

Have you not then stopped any encroachment from the SEC or B1G, and then have you not then exposed the ACC as the next target

You also get rid of the the dead wood in the conference, your longhorn network gets better content, and you get your Houston campus.

It would be a smart play if Oklahoma’s stand pat play

But will the networks like it (does it make them more money) and how to get out of existing deal?

I think we still would get regional Texas rivalries under this scenario and the affiliation of a super conference.

I think Texas has something up their sleeve because their too smart to have gone all the way down this river only to have Oklahoma tell the world that the big 12 is taking on water and no one knows how to swim

A game of risk. How will the board change and will the Coogs get knocked out or do we get the protection of the Texas hammer

1 Like

Boren is an attention ho.

So you wanna be a ho…

You’re much smarter than I am. I am simply unable to decipher and unpack all of these metaphors.

1 Like

What amazes me is WVU, KSU, and ISU should be trying to get a Yes vote to extend the GOR. Should the Big 12 stand pat and ride it out until 2024-25, Those schools will have a hard time catching on with someone else or being in a new conference. JMHO

T Boone should acknowledge his school, while better than solid in the revenue sports, isn’t even equally splitting the fan base with OU, located in a state with a population of 3,943,066 as of 2016. The Houston Metropolitan Area has over 6,000,000. people. He’s a math guy. He should do the math. Oklahoma State may not be attractive should they not be paired with OU in a scramble for a new home.