Bowl Games...The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Everyone will watch the CFP games and the NY6 bowl games. The problem for the NCAA and the bowl game sponsors is all of the other games. No one will watch Baylor v. Vandy at the Texas Bowl. The same is true for a majority of the other bowls: I doubt many will watch/attend:

Sun Bowl: Pitt vs. Stanford
Redbox Bowl: Michigan State vs. Oregon
Alamo Bowl: Iowa State vs. Washington State
Independence Bowl: Temple vs. Duke
Cheeze-It Bowl: TCU vs. Cal
And the list goes on.

Several bowl games will lose money. No one will watch, much less attend. Your thoughts? 3…2…1 - “Thanks, UHGRAD94, but no one cares about the bowl games or this thread.” I can see that response.

Go Coogs. Peace.

1 Like

ESPN owns a number of bowls for the viewership and advertising alone. So live content will sell ads.

2 Likes

Not everyone. I watched the American Athletic Conference Championship game this last weekend, and that was it. I have no interest in other conferences.

3 Likes

I like doing the bowl picking contest on ESPN and that gives me a reason to watch some, just my personal interest of course.

3 Likes

People watch the bowls. It is the best live television on during the holiday season and it’s not even close. All the network series are on reruns. Cord cutting and binge watching may start cutting into ratings but most people have a TV on during their holiday parties or at aunties house on a random Tuesday night and if the NFL isn’t on it’s on the weedeater bowl.

3 Likes

I’ll be in the stands for the Texas Bowl since I went to Vandy for grad school.

1 Like

They’re obviously making money or they wouldn’t keep having them. Attendance must not matter or they wouldn’t send Temple and Duke to Shreveport. I like the bowls, great holiday TV. And they matter to the teams and fans. If they wanted the games more well attended they’d try to match teams more regionally because it’s hard for a lot of fans to do much long travel during the holidays.

2 Likes

I will only watch UH bowl and maybe UCF bowl…the rest of the bowls are trash to me…

Cary you are missing some good football!

No. I’m not. I saw part of some of the SEC this year. Absolutely boring football. Same with the ACC. Same teams, every year ruining college football.

You are one of the best recruits in the nation. The same teams make the playoffs every year. The same teams are winning their conference, often easily. Where do you go and play if you are one of those recruits? The CFP is destroying the parity that used to exist by profiling a handful of teams.

This will not end well for the sport.

10 Likes

Just for example you missed the 7 OT thriller by A&M and a great come back victory by Bama over Georgia and Tua and his counterpart can sling the rock as well or better than most. Just check it out.

1 Like

2 Likes

The little bowls are bailed out by the fact that conferences pool their bowl revenue, so one team making a major bowl means the others have some extra jingle to cover all of their own costs and required ticket purchase to go to their pos bowl. That way the team is the one that loses money on their own game rather than the bowl, and cover by sharing in someone else’s success. Thank God UCF got a ny6 game or we’d really be up a creek.

1 Like

I love bowl games. Whether I’m actually watching or just using it as background noise, bring them on.

2 Likes

If they got rid of bowl games, G5 conferences would have no tie ins. That’s the bowls that would be eliminated first.

3 Likes

I missed the 90s when there were fewer bowl games and winning games meant something…not respectful losses getting you in a playoff game…

2 Likes

This. There’s money for garbage Baylor and Vanderbilt because of their conferences but if bowls get eliminated it would hurt the G5 schools first.

That got destroyed back in the BCS days.

1 Like

I am a fan of college football. Watch as much as possible, regular season and bowl games. September is the greatest month of the year. January is the worst.

1 Like