Bryson catching kick offs

I’d be shocked if this wasn’t the case. My gut tells me that for kickoffs fielded inside the five and returned, the average field position is inside the 25. There are so many penalties on returns. At this point Smith dances too much to be an effective KO returner. My opinion is that there is a certain knack or instinct involved in returning kicks. The fastest guys aren’t always the best choice. Guys like GWJ and DK have BOTH instincts and speed. It’s money when you have a guy like that. I just wonder if there isn’t somebody else on the roster with better instincts. Smith is obviously gifted and will help the Coogs a lot over the next 3+ seasons.

2 Likes

True, but doesn’t seem to be a liability for us? I mean we are scoring 40+ points a game. Down and distance doesn’t seem to matter with our O.

1 Like

BTW returning punts and kickoffs is one of the hardest things to do in football. Ask anyone who has actually done it.

1 Like

We don’t even make an effort to return kickoffs, which is a huge mistake when you have playmakers who can take it to the house like we do. I asked my fellow season ticket holders to focus on the front line of our kickoff return team yesterday on one particular kickoff instead of watching the ball, and they witnessed what I saw - every blocker nonchalantly peeled back and let the coverage team run past them without even making an effort to block. As great as our offense is, more focus on our kick and punt return teams would make us even more lethal, and I don’t understand why our coaches don’t appear to emphasize that part of the game more.

2 Likes

Basically, they want to limit injuries and the chance of fumbles. The key to this team is the offense so why risk anything bad happening on the kickoffs and take the ball out of King’s hands right now?

1 Like

If I had to choose between a ST coach and a 2nd defensive backfield coach, I would go with the latter. Being meh on special teams has not hurt us. Poor play from the defensive backfield has been a serious liability until very recently. Seems to me that the emphasis is in the right place at the moment.

2 Likes

Special teams have been a struggle at times this year. I wish we placed a bigger emphasis on it.

Why would you run the ball from 10 when you have trains coming at you if you can start at 25 with no injury? That was the point of the new rule change and they’re using it. I thought this might be what would happen with the rule but I’m also glad they dont run it. I’ve also noticed CMA is ALOT more cautious when it comes to player health and its paying off.

3 Likes

Tell that to Nick Saban.

By the by, most teams have a ST coach. Just how do they manage ?

fair catches dont bother me

I cant help but cringe seeing 22 men running full speed right at each other

just kills me inside knowing they are risking all that for a simple kickoff

1 Like

I won’t complain about the current strategy of fair catches, but can you imagine what it would add to this team if, say, Tony Levine was Special Teams Coordinator again?

I wonder what it would take?

1 Like

did anyone else notice that dane roy was kicking end over end punts?

1 Like

…here is what we are missing on the fair catches: Brandon Wilson’s Kick 6…we might be robbing ourselves of another potential Kick 6…

3 Likes

Has anyone missed a long FG that we’ve fair caught? :thinking:

2 Likes

Lol…you are right…I am thinking about kickoff TDs… .hey, might as well been a kickoff he took it to the house for 104 yards…

1 Like

Stop being rational!

2 Likes

Bryson had a great highlight yesterday. I watched that 2 point conversion about 10 times. He no-look passed it to Singleton like a point guard. He acted like he was going to run it in, every Bull within 5 yards of him bit on the fake, then he stared down Brooker literally never looked at Singleton and made a basketball pass to him. Smooth.

3 Likes

That was one of my favorite plays in a game with lots of highlights.

Clearly the kid is being coached up to fair catch everything, and that’s fine.

I don’t get why he can’t be coached up to let the ball go out of bounds and give us better field position.

This. Sweetest jump shot ever witnessed in football game…