Build the AAC and make it home

The PAC would have to add 4 teams (2 doesn’t work).

The XII is never adding Houston (or any other teams for that matter).

1 Like

Espn could start charging for all online digital content to recapture some. I think they will evolve and follow where the viewers go then capture it with charges if the cable model keeps eroding. They still own the content. The p5s lost millions in covid bc of less fans in the stands where as we only lost 7.5 mil. Rice prob lost less bc of less fans. It’s economies of scale and the bigger fish lose more if the trend of fans in the stands reduces. The p5 s will then look for markets to make up more money which is a plus for us. Also our system budget is 1 billion or over so the the subsidy we give is 1 or 2 % and can be considered marketing expense for exposure that is worth millions and the trend is more schools are trying to join in major athletics for that exposure, see liberty u for ex. I also don’t think expansion of p5s or new p5s if the aac can eventually move up will ever end. We’re a growth stock and could become like the old big East over time. If UH keeps building the school up and achieves AAU and keeps having success in athletics, we can move up bc it’s hard to ignore if your solid in all areas with a good school that’s AAU. In business there’s always a way to skin a cat and make deals work. TF and Khator could work a deal where they finally say let us in a p5 for just the 7 to 10 mil then we get in and grow. We just agree to take less money and give a p5 a new market. I don’t believe it’s ever over if we keep on the course we’re on. I do like the aac in many ways and it can become the old big East overtime or we keep growing and good things will happen. UH is a way better school in all ways than before Khator and we will be hard to ignore if we keep growing in all ways such as the new plan by 2027 to enhance the campus.Our athletics budget has grown and we could cut it back some and be ok if needed.

It’s never over and Houston is in a big market.

1 Like

So, enjoy what you have now in the AAC. If you get that dream call up, fine.
But building yourself up in the AAC is not mutually exclusive or prohibitive to
getting that dream date call some day. Be happy, but build.

It would be exclusive if the conference signs a GOR for more money. This was an option available to the AAC teams which declined to sign the GOR. The GOR basically locks you in and makes it impossible to walk away from the conference for the duration of the contract.

Moncoog, how do you know about that?

Did the PAC called you?

Well…

False. I, and many others, love the roadie to Tulane. I hope they are always in our conference!

5 Likes

I made two statements. Both are facts. Which one would need me to call the PAC offices?

We are the worst of both worlds for a P5.

We have the ability to be very good thus upsetting the established order.

Plus when we are not good we have no fan support.

The powers of the P5 aren’t looking for great teams. They are looking for good markets and good schools with fan bases that will show up even when they are losing. That just ain’t us.

That is the case with all the AAC teams. We are a group of schools with similar fan bases.

3 Likes

Frankly at this point I don’t care what conference we are in. I love UH and will continue to support until the Lord takes me home! That said if we get a chance to hop to any P5 conference we all know how good that would me for UH’s pocket book.

3 Likes

I think it only applies to the big12 where they are scared. Other conferences want a good overall program with markets. The ACC needs good fb and bb. The big ten won’t be threatened by us and the pac certainly needs good programs.

Just the big 12 is threathed

Making a road trip for Bourbon Street and Harrahs hardly constitutes a rivalry. Flip the script… how many of us are excited when Tulane Football plays at TDECU?.. That would be a rivalry.

I can make a roadie to Nawlins anytime. I’d give that up in a heartbeat to reestablish in- state football rivalries or develop new rivalries with PAC or ACC schools.

1 Like

“Which one would need me to call the PAC offices?”
Say what?

What makes you think the PAC will take you call or respond?
Hey, how are you doing?

PAC 1st answer

Second and final answer

Tillman and Khator will call with a great deal

1 Like

…dont start spouting your opinions as facts, because they ARENT…the fact, is PAC presidents are looking to expand east when their GOR expires because multiple marketing firms hired to research the situation advised them to do just that when the time comes…They are currently behind their rival B1G by quite a bit financially.

2 Likes

That doesn’t mean they necessarily will. I’m sure they are exploring all options available. Im sure every conference is always running the numbers on how it would affect them.

1 Like

Every conference has a department/position(s) dedicated to analyzing how they can be more profitable. This is just like any other business.

1 Like

The fact is

1. The pac is not the smallest conference
  2. The pac does not NEED to expand because of premise 1

Moncoog, you can’t be serious.
You are either pulling our

or

The AAC is as good a landing place as we will find. UH is not an immediate expansion target, as much as we love to read the tea leaves, between the lines, and sometimes around the bend.

We need only be so good in football as to win the AAC. All the rest is out of our control. For the rest of our sports, the AAC is just as good a spot as any to get into NCAA championship tournaments/meets.

It seems like many here don’t visit the AAC forum. It’s actually a close knit community that rags on each other when we play in conference games vs each other and supports each other when one of our schools plays P5s in OOC or postseason, like the NCAA and NIT.

It’s actually a good sign. There is a strong bond between conference mates . We ALL have that chip on our shoulders.

1 Like

Again, again and again how do you friends know that?
Do you know the mega numbers too? You are all making assumptions. You and I do not know. That we can be sure of.