BYU

Hard pass on UT-lite. Their arrogance rivals that of that university in Austin.

I think San Diego State would make a great addition for football, basketball and baseball. Just need another solid option to bridge the geographic gap that creates. Their program would create some late night game headaches for the Eastern and Central time zones…but their programs would definitely strengthen the conference.

3 Likes

BYU meets the P5 metric more then most P5’s with its large national fanbase, an exclusive tv deal that no G5 would get because of its built-in fanbase, facilities (66k stadium), history, and finances (one of only a handful of programs that operate in the black (without a deficit)) along with P5-level talent. When you think college football, do you think of Vanderbilt, Purdue, Washington State, Wake Forest? or does BYU ring a louder bell with its brand… We’d be the 2nd biggest brand in the Big 12 and one of the top 4 brands in the Pac 12.

2 Likes

Hey, BYU is a National brand for sure, given its mission statement and who you guys are.
But you would be 3rd in Big12…
I can’t stand either Texas or OU, but they dwarf you nationally…
Sorry.

3 Likes

Truth has spoken!

1 Like

Depends on where you are nationally. Sure, Texas and OU are bluebloods, but we wouldn’t be dwarfed nationally by OU because of how regionally concentrated their base is and how spread out our base is. We’d only be dwarfed by Texas and OU in the region.

2 Likes

And that, folks…is why we have chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry ice cream…
Everyone has a different favorite !
But that’s okay !:wink:

1 Like

This is a serious question. Is BYU really a national brand? I’ve followed college football since 1965 and never thought of BYU as having a national following.
I’ve had people in the north tell me University of Texas isn’t a national brand outside of the state.
BYU’s churned out a legacy of quarterbacks and one mythical national championship in football.
Please enlighten me on why BYU is a national brand. I’m not saying they aren’t, but I woukd like to hear from people on this board as why they are a national brand to persuade me.

2 Likes

Like Notre Dame, they have strong fan support at home and away. They travel very well, whether it is football, basketball, or any other sport. It is a well funded, private institution that pulls a lot of TV eyeballs. That is why.

6 Likes

Hey Cary…BYU can be thankful that we (UH) provided them with a great Basketball coach in David Rose for a couple of decades😃…

PS:David was a great guy…while he was on the team, after home games, we would shoot hoops at Hoffienz. Here I was a senior HS player, and this guy was taking time with me on the court. Pretty neat…

2 Likes

Yes, due to the national presence of the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. You see our chapels all over the nation from Florida to Alaska, from Hawaii to Maine, from Texas to Minnesota.

A large part of it has to do with 1. helping change the game with the introduction of a passing-dominated brand of offense that turned the tide away from option and run-dominated play, It was an exciting brand of offense that drew alot of interest and essentially established our brand 2. A pipeline of legendary QBs that competed for national awards in college, broke NCAA records, and led NFL teams to Super Bowls 3 being the first non P5 powerhouse in modern college football who has competed with the big boys on the field putting together years of 1-loss and undefeated seasons. 4. The coaching pipeline is similar to the QB pipeline with several of our former coaches leading teams to Super Bowl victories, etc. and 4. Victories over big time programs like #1 Miami in 1990, Michigan, Texas, Oklahoma, USC, Tennessee, Wisconsin, Penn State, etc on ESPN over the course of decades. 5. People associate BYU Football with the LDS church and with the LDS church having millions of members (roughly 6-8 million in the US) all over the country, that following by members and non-members of the LDS church created a built-in national following that was activated during the 70s, energized in the 80s and 90s, etc. Our student body is national, coming from all over the nation and alumni chose to settle and live in all regions of the nation for grad school, jobs, etc.

Edit: we also built up the Holiday Bowl from the late 70s through early 90s with exciting games against some nationally prominent programs. Seeing BYU vs Whoever year in and year out in that bowl game that always produced entertaining games, helped build our national brand as well.

2 Likes

Not trying to sound arrogant or toot my own horn, just trying to answer a question the best I can.

1 Like

My thing is: If you can find your hats at the Truck Stops all over, you are National. That is my take and I am sticking to it!

2 Likes

BYU would have to schedule some top teams and win them to have any chance at the playoffs and it’s tough to schedule as an independent. BYU should join the the AAC and help make it a p6. It’s not a regional conference. BYU will never be like Notre Dame bc ND has the history, most Catholics and subway fans. Byu isn’t a national brand and just had its Mormon fans which isn’t broad enough like ND.

1 Like

If BYU was undefeated with their original schedule:

• Michigan State
  • Minnesota
  • Utah
  • Arizona State
  • Missouri
  • Stanford

They would get better consideration. What they mopped together was the best they could do in a COVID limited season.

4 Likes

Curious, could it be ND get more attention worldwide because Catholics are Worldwide. Mormons may be also, but Roman Catholics are everywhere. Just a thought.

1 Like

Well, LDS is pretty world wide as well.

The difference is that a) the Catholic Church is MUCH larger , which, of course, gives ND a larger potential body of religious “subway” alumni (68.2 million members in the USA vs. 6.1 million for LDS in the USA), b) the Catholic Church’s membership is less concentrated/more widely distributed among regional adherent populations (the presence of LDS members outside of Utah and Idaho is a much smaller percentage of any state’s population than the Catholic Church would be), AND…c) Notre Dame has 11 claimed and 11 unclaimed national titles dating all the way back to 1919…BYU only has one from 1984, which gives ND a HUGE edge in national football branding and tradition.

ND has also produced SEVEN Heisman winners vs. only one for BYU.

ND is a MUCH bigger “household” name among the casual college football fan.

ND is a true “blue blood.” Not true of BYU.

4 Likes

Well said, thanks Law!

1 Like

That said, I think that if we added BYU, it would indeed improve the AAC’s football brand, and improve the AAC’s chances of being accepted as a true “P6.”

If we admitted them as an all-sports member (which I would recommend), they could add some good competition in other sports as well.

Their basketball program, for example, has been to 29 NCAA tourneys, more than UH with 21.

So we might have to play some Saturday double-headers in baseball. BIG DEAL!!! LET’S DO IT!!!

And when we have games up in Provo…it’s an excuse for a good skiing trip!

5 Likes

Regarding the whole “regional adherents” thing, consider this.

LDS adherents make up over 68% of Utah’s population, but only 1.2% of Texas’ population.

Catholics, by contrast, make up 23% of the Texas population.

Nationally, LDS adherents make up about 1.8% of the population, versus about 21% for Catholics.

The potential “subway alumni” markets aren’t even close to comparable.

3 Likes

Those are my thoughts exactly!

1 Like