Caleb Mills: Special Player Thread

We are capable of running 12 guys so running a 10 man rotation could be possible.
I don’t think we will run a 10 man rotation but I do think we will play 10 in a lot of undecided games.

Playing more guys is is also a very difficult task. Some don’t play as well coming in and out of games. I was one of those who played better staying in longer. Some players don’t like to concede the minutes and sometimes it is just hard to find the chemistry with that many coming in and out of the game.

8 man rotations are fine for other teams and they can make that work to get through games against deeper teams. Now those who have used 7 1/2 or few in their rotations like SMU recently are at a real disadvantage.
What I really like about being able to use the depth is to rest the legs for the marathon so we will be at our best when it really counts.

I think CKS has done a really good job of changing up rotations and experimenting with different groupings of guys. I’m sure that greatly affects other teams’ ability to adequately prepare for us. Having so many interchangeable guards should make adequate prep next to impossible. I’m looking forward to seeing that.

I like Mills starting but with Sasser and having Deeky come off the bench (though your idea works too).

Either way, I completely agree we shouldn’t presume Mills will be coming off the bench this year (though he of course could).

mills is likely on the outside looking in for a starting spot… Sampson values defense too much… mills is the worst of the 4 in that area. someone has to lose their job, its not mills to win IMO… also mills has been in the 2nd unit for 80% of the scrimmage clips theyve put out

Sasser and Deeky starting together doesn’t really make much sense to me, especially if Mark has instant offense potential off the bench and Tyson will be a defensive liability coming off the bench, but I’ll of course always trust the staff if that’s what they plan to do. Deeky starting with Chaney and Gresham (as someone noted Brooks said those two could start together) also doesn’t make much sense to me either.

If Mills is running with the 2’s then that’s probably right, though. Who has been running with the 1’s? Or I guess, more what is the 1/2 breakout of each 5 guys in both units? Also, I know you keep up with this stuff a lot more than I do, but how many minutes of scrimmages are we talking about? Everything I see is like super limited clips.

i dont think chaney starts… id put gorham at like a 80% chance of starting at the 4…in the practice stuff theyve put out, chaney has been exclusively at the 5 (something just randomly clicked as i was typing this, is Gorham hurt??? he hasnt been in a practice video in a while, coaches are saying chaney might be starting at the 4… i was assumng covid stuff since brison is also absent…but what if there an injury… am i overthinking this??? lol)…

assuming everyone is healthy gorham is likely the starting 4…it makes no sense spacing wise for both greshman and chaney to start…and with powell being shorter than expected and not being ready…it makes no sense on who’ll be the back up 5 if both are playing

but deeky and sasser started most of last season…and we were #14 in kenpom , we were 3 or 4 missed game winners from being a top 10 team…it worked last year, not sure why it wouldnt work this year with everyone older…

1 Like

Well, I’m sure when that 1/2 guy is on the floor, they are at a real disadvantage. Hopping around on one leg, trying to pass and rebound with one arm, that’s tough to do.

5 Likes

Also in the Athletic article it mentioned Jarreau and Sasser on the floor together outscored opponents by 25 pts per 100 possessions. To me they are the two that fit together the most. Sasser isn’t much of a playmaker for others but can shoot and provide spacing. Jarreau is a playmaker but isn’t a knockdown shooter.

4 Likes

We used a bunch of different lineups last year and that ultimately ended up being the best one.

I didn’t mean that Sasser and Deeky don’t fit together. They do and “doesn’t make much sense to me” was probably an overstatement. But last year the second unit was more get Mills the ball and get out of his way in a lot of games. If we have a bench scorer in Mark and a floor spacer off the bench in Tyson the best way to utilize everyone and stagger minutes changes a little vs what we had last year.

Plus I don’t trust we’ll have as good of a floor spacer at the 4 without Fabian (whether that’s Gorham or especially Chaney starting) so could see us wanting a better shooter than Deeky starting. But there are a lot of combinations that work and CKS will get the best one.

1 Like

Honestly we can start any combination and it will make sense but to say it is likely going to happen is an overstatement.
As mentioned, would make sense to have Sasser. coming off the bench to play the PG.
Would also make sense to have Mills starting and have a defensive minded Sasser coming in with Mark.
This, of course, is assuming Jarreau is starting.

I will throw out a wildcard, Shead impresses so much and Sampson actually does go with a 6 guard rotation and he comes into play the point off the bench.

One more thing, I don’t see Tyson being a defensive liability. He will play his butt off in short stretches on the court

Fabian overall (when you added rebounding, post moves, measurements… what he’s proven at the level) is better than Gorham

But in the aspect of floor spacing Gorham is actually better than Fabian… Fabian only shot mid ranges at a very inconsistent rate from mostly just 2 spots only when open…Gorham had like 70% of his shots from 3 at a great rate for a big ( especially considering it was his 1st year shooting 3s and it was the 1st year of the extended 3)

The floor will be spaced or Gorham will be getting open 3s, I’m happy with both…lol but even before Fabian was injured, we both had different expectations for Gorham. I know we talked about this before

Yeah Gorham theoretically has deeper range than Fabian. The stats may contradict my memory but I remember Fabian hitting that 15 footer at a pretty consistent clip and teams had to respect it.

My base case for Gorham isn’t super high but I definitely think there’s a realistic scenario where he shoots 35% on 3 to 5 or so baseline 3PA’s a game to go along with a putback or two and give us something like a 9ppg/6rpg line.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1321467155876057095

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1321467419077103616

1 Like

https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/1326590326224588804

2 Likes

Lol at Brison dropping the Benihana mention… Trying to score a free shrimp toss or onion volcano!

2 Likes

Looks like he went to the Kelvin Sampson school for analogies. He doesn’t know if he is on horseback or foot. :grinning:

1 Like

“Bennie” Mills. Will it stick?

We will miss a lot of guard rebounding by Nate. What a baller.