2022 Case Keenum Thread - Houston Texans back home where he belongs

This goes back to what I said about Keenum while with the Rams. Teams had learned that the best way to defend against Case is go all out because he didn’t take risks. He would scramble, tuck the ball and take the hit or throw the ball away if he didn’t spot anyone wide open.

Teams tried this the first half of the season at Minnesota. The difference was that Keenum took chances and they paid off more than they didn’t. I feel like he has fallen back on playing it safe. Teams that can get to him will attempt to do so until he makes them pay for it over and over. I believe it comes to play with the wide open pass he missed. Instead of making sure it was catchable, he aimed at making sure no defender could get to it and ended up being out of reach of the receiver as well.

I’m afraid, if he doesn’t start taking more chances, his success on the field will mostly be against defenses that can’t get pressure even with the blitz.

1 Like

I don’t think the Broncos play the Coogs this year.

(Just kidding. Please don’t blow me up with serious replies).

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1047155482673078272

Two thing, not necessarily about Case.

1. the Broncos running game was shredding KC…I can’t understand why they didn’t just run, run, run.

2. The only time I thought they should NOT run it every time was when the Brocos had the ball with 6 minutes. KC loaded everyone on the LOS to stop the run in case Broncos wanted to try to run clock. There should have been some kind of audible. The WR could beat their guys every time in man coverage. Instead, run, run, 3rd and 10, punt.

There shouldn’t be any fear against the Jets for the Broncos coaches. They need to let him go Don Coryall this game because for both parties, you have to see what is the ceiling. Even if he throws five picks at least you’ll know where you stand going forward.

The hot take on here is Case is going to be the coach one day. You don’t want that because then you might have to be critical of him. Of course after you blame all the players, other coaches, video staff, AD, ticket takers, concessions, field turf.

Bottom line is Denver gave him 25 mill. The expectation with that is he’ll take them pretty deep in the playoffs. If he doesn’t then it’s a failure because they gave him a lot on a pretty limited body of work. He’s only started 42 games in 5 years. He capitalized on the Minn success which is exactly what free agents should do.

He’s almost thrown as many picks this year as he did all of last year. The Broncos missed badly with their recent QB drafts and if this doesn’t work out it’s right to question their evaluation of the QB position. In the NFL you will take a lot of heat for breaking your cap on players that don’t perform, especially at the QB position. Case is an adequate QB but his body of work doesn’t point to him being someone that is taking the team to another level. That’s not being mean, it’s being realistic on the stats he’s put up.

78% vs air? Case needs to play better. Simple as that.

A small defense, but in that tweet it states Andy Dalton has a worse stat at 75%, and the Bengals have been doing great this year so far.

I wonder what the drop rate is on that?

He hits that pass 99 out of 100. And even if it’s on target I’m not certain that 88 catches it. That guy has already dropped many tight to him. As for td passes, out of bounds receivers bad calls in the end zone have cut those back. They also have run the ball well in the red zone.

Well said Red. In a fairy tale world Case comes home and wins a National Championship because we all love the guy. Anything short of that would probably result in a lot of ill feelings. I hope Case and Kimberly take their money and enjoy the heck out of it and forego coaching.

Come on now. It’s a bit slanted when you refer to a 5 time pro bowl receiver by his number and “that guy.” Demaryius might not be first ballot Hall of Fame but he certainly has been good enough over a long period of time to not make him out to be a problem.

2 Likes

This is ridiculously weak excuse. Look at his career stats. He’s an average player and there’s nothing wrong with that. He’s outplayed higher draft picks, bigger free agents with better resumes.

1 Like

I think he might forego college coaching. That’s a hard life, requires a lot of time away from the family, and I’m not sure Case would want to do that after his NFL career. Case might decide to follow in his father’s footsteps and coach high schoolers if he decides to get into coaching, if he does at all.

I’m with you, though, hope he takes his money and enjoys his life in whatever he decides to do once he hangs them up (which hopefully won’t be for awhile).

He’s been running for his life with every team but the Vikings. I’ve watched every game.

3 Likes

Sorry, I couldn’t think of his name, but has been dropping them,.

Okay after a day to think about it, my Bright Side takes:

1. It’s only game four. He’s got plenty of time to turn it around and win games. After the Jets he gets another prove-it game vs the Rams who may be even better than KC. He will erase yesterday in minds of Denver fans if he wins that game at home.

2. He actually had plenty of good pass plays vs KC. Enough to get a 23-13 lead in the 4th. On that final drive two back to back awesome pass plays including on a 4th and 11 stood out.

3. Denver is 2-2 and not even close to being out of the running… They are tied at 7th with the Pats. (Oh yes even the modern GOAT Touchdown Tommy is 2-2.)

4. The Denver OC is bound to reevaluate his play calling. The “run on 1st and 2nd and end up with 3rd long” is due to come to an end and more vertical plays will occur in early downs. That will snowball in getting CK confidence in his throws.

5. the last two losses were not squarely on Case Keenum by any stretch. No doubt he didn’t do enough on his end, but my gosh the Denver defense is porous at best. They gave up a 2nd and 30 on the last drive to Mahomes. I don’t think I’ve even seen that before.

A combination of Case turning up his play, the defense scheme being adequate, and the playcalling becoming stable will translate to lots of Denver wins. I think 9-7 can get them at the door of the playoffs.

Way too early to write the book on 2018 Case Keenum. Jets are up next…Sunday at high noon…Perfect time for a comeback.

5 Likes

What terrible luck he has. No one ever blocks or catches or calls the right plays.

1 Like

Well they’re playing West Coast offense with a mediocre offensive line. Defenses can spare a linebacker to jump a timed route or blitz. Same with the Texans when Schaub got masticated before Case got the ball.

1 Like

25 million is small potatoes for starting NFL QBs, as ridiculous as that sounds. If he takes them to the playoffs at all, he will be considered successful.

3 Likes