2022 Case Keenum Thread - Houston Texans back home where he belongs

I missed it, what did he say?

Looks like Elway went on record calling Keenum a short-term fix.

I think Keenum will take that as motivation for the upcoming year. He plays better with something to prove.

1 Like

Depends what he means by short term. Maybe for the next few years. Keenum does turn 31 next month.

Adding 49ers QB Coach to the possible OC list:

A little more on Scangarello:

He did very well at NAU. The 49ers were impressive with their 2nd and third string QB. The biggest question is obviously regarding Case staying put & whoever coaches him to take advantage of his strengths.
Add on:
The Mike Munchak hire is a huge one. We all know the player he was. This is a major plus for Case and the Broncos. Case is not Warren Moon but Mike Munchak knows first hand what it means to “buy time” for his QB.

5 Likes

I wish the Broncos would have drafted Nelson.

Looks like the Broncos are looking at Foles.

Case already beat him out.

Both Case and Foles are good. Well better than Cousins an Wentz

Case has a new OC

“Scangarello is coming from the Shanahan tree where the West Coast offense and traditional zone blocking, vintage Denver offense has evolved”

Thank you for posting. Hopefully this is a good thing for Case. What he did with a rookie QB this year was impressive. Hopefully with Case being familiar with the system he can pick up his system and excel early.

Another article that gives us a better look of the new QB OC

https://www.bsndenver.com/broncos-film-room-an-inside-look-at-the-offense-rich-scangarello-is-bringing-to-denver/

The biggest question for me is if the Broncos will keep Case. His contract favors Case staying put. In case he does this new offense should greatly work in his favor. The Broncos have some huge holes to fill. We are going to see how good John Elway is in this off season. He has got to improve the following:
OL, although I imo Musgrave play calling did not help this young OL. Munchak will be a major improvement already.
WR’s
DL
DB’s
Is that it? Don’t be surprised if they trade Von Miller.

3 Likes

I sense positive vibes with the Mike Munchak hire. He was one of four staples of the last generation of Houston Oilers along with Ray Childress, Bruce Matthews and Warren Moon. Not sure if he played beyond 1994 but his last coach was former UH Ted Pardee. Lots of Houston and UH ties which I think just portends a turnaround season for Case Keenum.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/KeenOnKeenum/status/1088519580094390273

6 Likes

You got to love hearing that from the new OC, hopefully it translates into a great season for him and the team.

7 Likes

I hope you’re right but I won’t feel easy til we see what Elway does in the draft. If they spend an early pick on a QB instead of filling obvious gaps on offense
well, we’ve seen this movie before.

7 Likes

I think they almost have to take a QB high. Case only has one more year on his contract and I’m sure they’ll want to groom someone under the new coaching staff.

1 Like

That starts with being aggressive, Scangarello said — and that could sound familiar to Broncos fans, who heard the team’s last coaching staff challenge Keenum to take more chances down the field.

“I see an offense that’s willing to take shots,” said Scangarello of his ideal offense. “That’s aggressive, but is detailed in every way. That takes care of the football, that empowers its players to be the best that they can be. By putting them in a position to be successful. I think our offense empowers the quarterback to have success. And [we] can adapt to his skill set. As we build this as a group, as a staff, I’m looking forward to doing that. I think we can make that happen.”

4 Likes

Well, they could re-sign him to another contract.

2 Likes

Per Pro Football Focus, Keenum was the NFL’s fourth-best play-action passer with a grade of 90.6 when the Broncos called those plays:

https://twitter.com/PFF_Broncos/status/1088926938142593024/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fd-20861549793601963470.ampproject.net%2F1901241837330%2Fframe.html

2 Likes

Denver had a young line last season, at least thelatter part; let’s hope they have gotten a lot better or that Denver brings in some reenforcements. Also, let’s hope they get some WR’s that don’t think they are playing volleyball and actually catch passes instead of just batting them down.

2 Likes