CBS Power Rankings

Seriously?

1 Like

Seth Davis works for CBS.

We haven’t been “hot” lately.

1 Like

This is the dumbest list ever… #15 behind St Mary’s and Virginia… how can Bama and Tenn be hot when they recently lost games. We have a longer winning streak than either of them at 3!

This seems more like let’s figure how to keep UH as low as possible list.

1 Like

Have at him.
https://twitter.com/mattnorlander/status/1621203431166730243?s=61&t=YkVjqCSKY7M_LOvhyXqJmw

Did you read his disclaimer?

Reminder: My rankings are not solely about whom I think is “best.” This is a weekly encapsulation of the 19 hottest, most successful and/or most interesting teams, combining team quality with win quality but also having no shame for recency bias and rewarding significant winning streaks. All records shown are vs. D-I competition.

3 Likes

Norlander is no Seth Davis. He may be a bit east coast but did a great job covering our FF run, imo

1 Like

its content that supposed to be fun to read. It doesnt mean anything. Who cares? Its not like we actually have been lighting the world on fire recently, we havent. at all. We aren’t “hot” we just win.

1 Like

Does the ranking affect our seeding? No, so pay it no mind.

6 Likes

Although those types of rankings (ie CBS power rankings) do not directly affect seeding, as long as there is some human factor in play - and widespread consumption - I contend that they can have some type of indirect affect on eventual seedings.

I’m not arguing about the degree, but any largely distributed poll that is consumed by humans has the potential to have an impact (even if subtle) on the humans involved later in seeding selections.

Nitpicky? Sure. But technically speaking a real possibility. Probably not one enough to worry about. But not necessarily absolutely zero either.

that CBS sports “hot” poll is meaningless, he has a job to do. the only opinions that matter are the people on the selection committee.

Oh Virginia Baby!!! Sock it to me.

Reminder: My rankings are not solely about whom I think is “best.” This is a weekly encapsulation of the 19 hottest, most successful and/or most interesting teams, combining team quality with win quality but also having no shame for recency bias and rewarding significant winning streaks

this disclaimer is at the top of his list. Honestly on this criteria cant be too upset about 15. Dropping a game to temple and a bunch of close games. and specifically mentioning a recency bias. As long as we are a 1 seed in March IDK

1 Like

I get what your saying and I do agree that human polls (like the AP and Coach’s) can potentially influence a teams perception. I’m just not sure this random CBS power ranking carry’s the same influence.

2 Likes

I agree with folks’ feedback… this poll is not a big deal in the grand scheme. I will point out, however, it is a bit hypocritical to point to our 1 pt Temple loss as being unhot when Bama got completely blown up in historic fashion by a mediocre OU team and Tenn just lost to an equally mediocre Florida team by double digits. Nothing too “hot” about that.

Quit calling it a poll. Polls involve multiple voters. This is one man’s opinion on which teams are the hottest at the moment.

4 Likes