CFP Discusses Restructuring College Football Governance

College Football Playoff board discusses possibility, potential of restructuring how college football is governed, sources say

The 11 college presidents and chancellors who make up the College Football Playoff’s board of managers met via Zoom on Monday and began a discussion that could reshape the future of college sports, sources told ESPN.

…the college sports leaders have left too much money on the table by not implementing a new playoff before 2026, perhaps as much as a half-billion dollars.

Once CFB has a 12 team playoff like it’s rumour… Going to be more like an even playing field.

1 Like

Thank you for posting.
Was this the cartel meeting for cocktail?
I do not trust the cartel. Until I see a true even playing field the cartel is alive and RICH.

2 Likes

We’re IN the cartel now. And our champ will be there every year in a 12 team playoff.

4 Likes

@92010Coogs :point_up:

There has been rumors that the SEC is preferring a 16 team playoff with no autobids.

3 Likes

The more the merrier. Let the SEC beat up on each other.

I know I will take flak for this, but my preferred playoff is 12 teams with SEC/BIG going to 4 team pods (or 5-6 if they keep expanding) and the pod winners getting an auto-bid (8 bids), ACC, Big 12, and PAC 12 winner getting an auto bid and then highest ranked team not in BIG or SEC getting the last spot. Top 4 teams get byes. I think this would greatly appease the BIG/SEC and therefore be a pretty stable structure going into the future. Those SEC/BIG games would be huge late in the season as they play pod games for winning their pod and/or getting a first round bye- similar to what the NFL does.

:thinking:… That’s quite the advantage.

Yes well realistically, you have to keep SEC/BIG happy and within that you have to further keep the very top blue bloods like Alabama, Ohio State, Georgia, Clemson, etc… happy. I think it is a very stable structure where A TON of games will matter at the end of the season. Most teams making championship are likely going to be top 4 so this structure would only add 1 more game for them. I think that could be a big selling point and why 12 will happen over 16 and why 8 will be bypassed completely as the playoff expands.

We will know what they want to impose on us. Will that include schools from the BIG12, AAC and others. Would they limit it to the sec, big10 and acc? That remains to be seen.

A lot depends on where negotiations are, but I am hoping they are not in a place where this is the best option available to us.