CFP folks now considering a 16 team playoff!

Of course now we have to win our conference more than 3 times in the last 37 years to really have a shot. We should make that a big priority.

2 Likes

Once they expand it to 16 teams, the AAC will magically no longer be able to get a team that high in the rankings

6 Likes

it will NEVER happen equitably
 ANY expansion of playoffs is strictly to bring in additional P5 power schools
There might be 1 G5, but i doubt it
 not as an auto qualifier
We will NEVER have a fair chance in the playoff scenario until we are IN a P5
end of story

2 Likes

Agree.
Have we learned anything from history?
Nothing points out that a 16 teams cfp will include one or more G5. Nothing. You can be optimistic but please TOP25 give us a reason why would the cartel help us?
I am writing the same thing every week. This is not about sport but about controlling the money.
Would the cfp/cartel make more money with 16 teams? You betcha but more money for the cartel not for the G5’s.
What is consistent is the cartel’s message. SILENCE

1 Like

If the 10 conference champs are not included, it is not a playoff. Playoff participants are determined by winning you conference (or division in pro sports). Winning the conference is done on the field
no voter, no ranking, no computers.
If the teams that finish second or third every year in the SEC, ACC, or Big Whatever’s don’t like never making the playoff, I am sure the MWC, AAC, MAC or other conferences would gladly consider taking in a team.

1 Like

In the past 45 Seasons UH has 7 Conference Titles.

Every 6 to 7 years we would qualify for a Playoff spot under a 16 Team format.

A whole lot better than nothing but our University simply has not been a consistent presence on the National Stage.

2 Likes

And sadly to say shrink that to 3 in the last 37 years
once ever 12 years or so
we need to get our crap together.

1 Like

We have 4 in the past 37 seasons.

1984,1996, 2006, and 2015.

Not impressive. Easily explains our Attendance and other woes.

1 Like

Maybe the NCAA should go ahead and have a playoff that is similar to the FCS division playoff system. If they did, it may render the CFP meaningless and the P5 stuff maybe would eventually go away.

3 Likes

Yep, math was off, maybe I was already assuming this coming season is still a rebuilding year and that we probably will not have another

NCAA doesn’t have the power to even float that anymore.

Raise your hand if you think the CFP will expand to 16 teams.

1 Like

The man represents the G5 trying to get into the cfp.
The cfp is represented by the door.

Expansion to 8 teams seems most likely with quarter finals played on campuses. Any setup with built-in byes (6, 10 or 12 teams) is too slippery of a slope since FBS schools (who are not in the same conference) don’t have a lot of common opponents. Therefore, the criteria for earning a bye is going to be very subjective and controversial.

16 teams is fanciful due to the number of games required to win it all. Plus, I feel that 16 teams would do to the later part of the CF regular season what happens in the nfl: teams check out mentally because they know they have a playoff spot locked up.

1 Like

If they go to 8 we also have a chance but I think they will do 16 if they are redoing it to get it right

My guess is expansion will first be to 8, then after many years up to 12, then after more years up to 14 (bottom 4 G5 champs play in, top 4 bye), then finally up to 16. I feel like we will get to that last step around the same time Kyler Keenum is taking over as head coach at UH.

4 Likes

It will always be filled the way the 4 are filled now. That part won’t change unless a slew of G5’s start getting in every year. Then they will tweak the formulas in a way to favor more P5’s. So if they do 8, it will be the top 8 in their ranking system. I don’t like the P5, but some of you guys take it to far, if a G5 makes their top 8/12/16 then they are in, plain and simple

1 Like

This times a gazillion!!!

It amazes me how elegantly the FCS pulls this off
very similar to how UIL in Texas does the same with high school playoffs. Even the CP/P5 powerbrokers can’t even realize that this type of system would make them bookoo bucks more.

They are truly the dumbest smart people I know.

1 Like

?? beaucoup maybe.

3 Likes

That much also. :smiley: