CFP Holding at 4 through 2026

I assume this is your opinion because Bowlsby isn’t quoted saying anything like that in any article you posted on this thread.

They said the Sec might not be so willing to change much or anything in 2025. Arceno over played his hand , they said. I really don’t see much diff for the g5 in getting in with 6 and 6 non auto vs 5 and 1 auto but it makes a diff for p5 bc of tougher schedules so the Acc and Big10 don’t want an 12 and 0 coastal car getting in over a Big10 etc even if that is remote. It’s the principal of it and once we play in the big12, you’ll see our tough slate vs other minor conferences so we won’t get rewarded for it other than the money of a p5 and I think we should be rewarded with the money and auto bids. Sec doesn’t care bc they are top dog but if they were Acc level, they’d feel different.

1 Like

The CFP will hold at 4 until 2026. Until 2023 when they vote on it 3 times again.

1 Like

Makes one wonder why they brought in Nebraska !!

Nebraska probably wonders also, until they see their annual check :sunglasses:

1 Like

For being in podunkville Nebraska has lots of fans. Go to any husker game watching event and it’s full of people.

HOWEVER, adding Nebraska did pretty much nothing for adding in state carriage rates for cable contracts in the state for the big10 network. Head scratcher.

The school has lots of fans, but how many TV sets are in Nebraska.

If the big 10 took Rutgers and Maryland for viewership reasons, how does Nebraska fit that mold ?

So they fill a 75K stadium. It is either that or watch corn grow !

I only said Bowlsby was quoted in the article. I never indicated or stated what the quote was.

Since you asked, here is what he said:

“I am disappointed,” Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby said at the time. “We have entrenched issues. They are no closer to being resolved than they were [before our meetings].”

What do you think the entrenched issues are? My guess is that they revolve around the following:

• NIL deals and lack of any oversight/regulations
  • Increasing power of SEC and BIG Ten regarding TV deals and expansion
  • Instability among Big 12 w/r/t it’s TV deal, current membership, and future expansion of other conferences which would have a direct impact on the Big 12

So yes, it was my opinion, and based on the above, my guess is that it’s pretty close to the entrenched issues that Bowlsby referenced.

What do you think he meant by it?

Ha ha yeah it would be. Honestly if not for the fact that it is in Texas, UTee fits the Big Ten profile to a tee.

AAU member
Large state public school
Large endowment
Research dollars
Medical, Law, Business and Engineering schools

If OU was also an AAU member then maybe they could have brought them in since it would be geographically compact. As things stand now, UTee does not border any other states with a Big Ten member.

I think he’s worried about exp to where the sec and Big10 kill the Acc then the big 12 and Pac are left on an island as second class, so he’s trying and hoping we reach a 12 format before it happens. They really only need to b slap arseno and the g5 and say there is no diff in outcome whether auto bids happen and you’ll be fine. If auto bids happen, the p5 is happy and the g5 gets a spot then the rest are up for grabs to all so it’s the same. Arseno is just being a b bc he wants the p5 label removed as auto which will help him but hurt p5s. This is all it’s about but the outcome is the same regardless bc we will get it either way so he should give up that stance. So here we are.

What do you have against this guy?

3 Likes

Lol

Well since the article is talking about CFP expansion and not NIL, conference expansion or conference TV deals, I would assume Bowlsby saying “We have entrenched issues” means our conferences are dead set on getting what they want out of the playoffs and are not willing to budge.

Close, but here you go, “Aresco”.
:wink:

2 Likes

Why does he care? He’s just a comedian.

Two thumbs up for Arsenio reference.

Where my dogs at?

“Yes, it’s starting to feel like we could see a world in which the 4-team Playoff continues through the 2020s. Never mind the fact that the Big Ten and Pac-12 need expansion more than any of the Power 5 conferences. Sankey admitted the SEC originally wanted to stay at 4, but later pivoted and said it would be best for college football to see the field expanded because when the SEC has half the Playoff field and both teams in the title game, yes, the non-Southeast crowd feels left out.”

The CFP contract ends after 2026 so they will have to agree on some type of CFP or there will be none and everyone will only play bowl games.

Don’t let Sankey fool you. He wants an expanded playoff to feed the new mouths he’s bringing in.

That $100M projected per team earning the SEC is supposed to make includes the 12 team playoff model.

Yeah, the sec needs an expanded version , otherwise to many big dogs staying home.

This is a commissioner in denial.
https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1524485711919001601?s=20&t=bxPiSllYcaDjTprgJK2X7g

2 Likes