Christopher_Lambert on The question of value

The SEC losing a school? That’s unbelievable. No one leaves the best conference in the country according to everyone. :smile:

3 Likes

The SEC has a GoR for third tier content into the mid-2030’s as part of their agreement for the SECN. Nobody is jumping ship there.

1 Like

Generally agree but Missouri may be an exception. They really wanted the Big 10 back when Nebraska got in but weren’t invited. They’re about the westernmost school and play in the East Division. And they’re an AAU school with a profile that better fits the Big 10; moreover, if the three schools I mentioned were to join, they’d be surrounded southwest, west, northwest, north, and east by conference mates. Arkansas would border Missouri on the south.

I am saying UH will be an AAU member soon. UCF will not be any time soon.

Why did Tulane leave the SEC??.. Worst decision ever.

Again, Tulane did…how horrible!

Tulane Admin wanted to deemphasize athletics in 1966 so they cut scholarships and increased academic requirements. Because of that, they decided the SEC was too tough to compete in and they went independent.

Tough to criticize them as no one knew college athletics would get this huge in 1966. Does look really bad in hindsight though.

1 Like

Georgia Tech left as well…at least they landed in the ACC

1 Like

Hindsight is everything!

1 Like

Tulane and Georgia Tech left over a disagreement on scholarship limits.

2 Likes

True. Georgia Tech was upset about the limits and didn’t want them because they wanted to sign as many people as they could.

Tulane wanted more restrictive scholarship limits since they couldn’t compete with the others monetarily or with their increased academic requirements.

2 Likes

Would this impact OU’s consideratiin by the B1G?

University of Oklahoma gave false data to U.S. News college rankings for 20 years

1 Like

While the B1G is about the benjamins, it’s also about academics. Every one of the 14 B1G schools playing division 1 athletics, was an AAU member when invited into the B1G. Nebraska has since had its membership revoked. The 15th school in the B1G, which no longer plays Division 1 athletics, is the University of Chicago. Guess what? AAU as well.

Only one school has been invited to the B1G that is not an AAU school, Notre Dame, but Notre Dame is a good school and is in the middle of B1G territory. Oklahoma? As I mentioned earlier, Oklahoma, academically speaking, would have trouble spelling AAU if you gave them the A’s. You want to know about the quality of Oklahoma’s academics? Look at their PSA during their games. They talk about the number of Merit scholars they have. Those are kids coming in from high school. They don’t talk about the school’s academic achievements or great strides they’ve made in some field or endeavor.

Remember, expansion takes many factors into consideration when looking at schools. The B1G, PAC-12 and to lesser extent ACC, look at academic profiles in addition to athletics. The SEC and Big 12-2? A little more forgiving if you’re good with a pigskin. Remember, university presidents, i.e., academicians, vote on conference expansions, not athletic directors.

The B1G is a contiguous conference. Will it stay that way? I can see them wanting to get into Texas, but I don’t see them going into Oklahoma.

1 Like

Fred, with the fact they have been dropped from the US News and World report rankings due to providing inflated information, I think OU has kicked any hope of getting into the B1G into the gutter.

1 Like

Well, if there was ANY chance of UH joining the B1G as the Texas member, we were going to need a bridge state and that bridge state candidate, OU, just committed academic suicide as far as the B1G is concerned.

Maybe they will turn a blind eye to it. They did survive the Penn State and Rutgers issues.

It’ll be forgotten in 4 or so years when the moves start. And the SEC will want OU as well. Academics won’t even be an issue there.

2 Likes

I don’t think this will have a big impact at all, just a minor embarrassment. There’s been a lot of push back towards US New’s rankings and I am sure they’re not the only university skewing numbers. As long as OU can bring in the $$$, that’s all that matters to any conference considering them

2 Likes

The percentage goof does not seem big enough to move the needle. It wasn’t like they were doubling the number to make themselves look good.

We need to keep growing with the city and the rest will take care of itself because the greater Houston area not only has population, but disposable income to buy what people are selling.

Goof? They may not have increased the number 100%, but it was 50%. It was enough to bump them into the top 100 which they advertised heavily

Florida openly said they would block Florida State from the SEC back during realignment so you know they sure as hell wouldn’t allow UCF. South Carolina would block Clemson, Kentucky would block Louisville (hence why they were begging the Big 12 before the ACC took them)

A$M would most definitely block us so its a non starter.

1 Like