Christopher Lambert @theDudeofWV on G5 Schools

Both my kids went to Bama ( and UH in summer to get ahead! #GoCoogs!) and they play some 11a and 2p games in the summer. It’s just as miserable there as here, except the fans still fill the seats!

2 Likes

Miami has issues unless it’s a box office game

Miami is also a private school with a small student body relative to flagship state universities.

You always have a such a positive view of our school.

3 Likes

In this thread we are comparing SEC powerhouse school attendance and ACC school attendance to AAC attendance? Mmmkay.

The University of Southern California is also a private school. Being private really doesn’t fit into the argument. Despite being a private school, Miami is an appropriate example. Coachv is spot on. You have a large metropolitan area in South Florida. They draw well when it’s Florida State or Florida. The others? They’d be hard pressed to fill up a 30,000 seat stadium.

They, Miami, got their P5 invite because they were a dominant program at the right time. Even then, they only drew for the big name schools.

You look at attendance at games, even bowl games. There are a lot of empty seats, especially conference championship games at neutral sites. Yes, there are exceptions, but the cost of tickets and other surcharges, e.g., “charitable” contributions the the school’s athletic scholarship foundation or something similar, is pricing some fans out of the markets. And make no mistake about it, if a school draws 5,000 fans a game but, has a huge television following, they will be considered. Schools get more money from their TV contracts than ticket sales.

He’s a troll…don’t feed the troll

1 Like

For most people over 50 sitting in the broiling sun for four hours in the heat of the day is not even an option. It is strange that the planners recognized the problem and built a covered practice field but
not for the fans. We need both. We have heat and rain issues that will seriously affect attendance…

4 Likes

Miami is not an approximate example. Unlike UH, Miami (like Tulane, Stanford or Rice) doesn’t draw the bulk of its students locally or even regionally. And when students at Miami graduate, they leave. I’m willing to bet the majority of living UH alums live within the greater Houston area or at least a hundred mile radius. UH has more than enough alums who live within driving distance to fill up a 40k seat stadium. But the fans and alums at UH can be very “fickle”, to borrow a term from Duarte.

To me, the best barometer of how “engaged” a fan base is involves looking at their attendance and viewership when their team is mediocre or bad.

I think the thing with our fan base and the alumni that live within the Houston area is that they cant get excited over who we play when they see all these other teams playing teams that are consistently being marketed. Im willing to bet my left butt cheek that if we win consistently and against anyone the casual fan will come. If we play someone big theyll also come. Rockets vs Kings, Dynamo vs Chicago, Astros vs rockies, Texans vs Tampa dont fetch nearly as much as their good games or end of season games and if theyre winning. We saw with UH basketball. We just have to win every year as hard as that sounds.

2 Likes

I think we can get a growing fanbase by winnning and being in a P5. You can’t have one without the other and have a large fanbase unless you are a blueblood or traditional B1G school.

1 Like

We certainly do; and the TV networks are the reason we play in the middle of the day when the heat is at its worst. That is very easy to fix - simply play the games at night early in the year.

But, you say, the TV networks insist that we play in the heat of the day. That is easily fixed too: just turn off the AC in the broadcast booth. THAT will get their attention real fast!

2 Likes

I don’t think UH is ever gonna get into a P5 conference…not in the foreseeable future…just the nature of the beast …in fact, I would not be surprised if texas state gets into P5 before UH…

the very subject itself is just entertainment, I guess…

That…is an opinion…

3 Likes

Not a very good opinion…

5 Likes

another freakin troll…

3 Likes

You realize that simply calling people trolls doesn’t disprove their options, right?

1 Like

You realize I can still call out trolls when I see them right?

5 Likes

The term troll is used here, and other websites, as a way to argue without using any intellect. But saying that Texas State is going to be in a P5 before UH is being a

TROLL

5 Likes

Yeah, I don’t throw out that term lightly.

3 Likes