Cks

He wasn’t building us up, he was doing the “win now” approach which we desperately needed. With win now, bring in the best JuCo guys to win now, but they will be there Max two years then leave…you have to struggle and be patient with the build approach…not easy.

2 Likes

Me too, but I will take it further…I think it is a dark horse Championship team…they are winning despite slow starts and battling refs…you do that every game, you are championship ready when tourney comes around…

3 Likes

This team absolutely refuses to lose. CKS has done a phenomenal job of developing that. Every player out there knows he can be yanked out at any time if he lets up on his intensity or gets careless. I haven’t been able to watch all the games this year, but I’ve seen most of them and of the ones I’ve seen, we still haven’t put two good halves together. If we can figure out how to do that, we’ll compete with anyone we might face in the tourney. Our defense is that good.

3 Likes

what are we paying Coach Sampson?

Double it

1 Like

Tom Penders didn’t “fail” at UH.

Tom took over a down program with poor university and abysmal fan support, that hadn’t won 10 games either the previous two years, and promptly put it on a winning path…all the way to UH’s first NCAA birth in over a decade. His teams won, 18, 21, 18, 24, 21, and finally 19 games (and the conf tourny championship/NCAA birth while UH nudged him out for a girls middle school coach). Maybe that was the problem right there…people saw that as a failure pretending he wasn’t basically coaching up hill on roller skates given what UH had to offer facility and support wise compared to other places.

Funny thing is…if UH and all its genius fans wouldn’t have been pushing him out they’d have been all up is keyster wanting him to stay after the 1st NCAA tourny game since 1992…but he’d already announced he was leaving and the program as a whole just looked around kinda lost and uh…uh…uh…what’d we just do? And then ended up with James Dickey as head coach.(edited out awful mistakes!)

7 Likes

CKS and a brand new arena. Merry Christmas Coogs!

Penders had a great run here. I was sad to see him go.
That said… Long live CKS, Heir to Guy V. Lewis, Necromancer of Phi Slama Jamma, and King of the Cougar Court.

3 Likes

Basketball, Track and Baseball are at an excellent to elite level.

Football is at a pretty good level with the potential to be excellent.

We are in a pretty good spot.

4 Likes

The only team that really frightens me is Duke. Any of yall catch some that game yesterday? Tech played their tails off but ran out of gas. Duke has a ton of firepower!
I’m beyond confident CKS will have an excellent game plan no matter who play in the tourney!

That Zion dude lets everyone in on what it would have been like if LeBron had gone to college.

2 Likes

I don’t think CKS will jump ship on us for another college gig. For the NBA maybe, but not for another college program. We need to do everything to keep him here for at least another 5 years. CKS came into UH at the right time and has built up this team almost from the ground up.

1 Like

Duke shocked me with their depth. Damn near shut down a great Tech team in 2nd half. They’re demons…literally.

2 Likes

Penders did a good job here, getting us back in the post-season (and ultimately the NCAAs), posting winning records, and posting some impressive intersectional wins against teams like Top Ten Arizona and Gillespie’s Kentucky on national TV.

That…after the abyss of the Clyde McBrooks era.

Sadly…we replaced him with Dickey, who was an abject failure in EVERY way. Terrible choice.

Glad we have Sampson now.

5 Likes

CKS has been there and done that with bigger programs. He has very young grandchildren who will be staying in htown if he leaves because if we don’t offer and get Kellen the minute CKS bolts we are morons. I’m more concerned about Kellen getting poached which would open the door for Kelvin to go as well.

1 Like

I really like Kellen! I know most people do not like nepotism but in some cases it does work. I believe he’s gained a tremendous amount of knowledge and skill from his dad. This would not be a Bob Knight/Pat Knight kind of deal.

2 Likes

Kellen will take over once his dad retires.

3 Likes

Yup totally agree. I think he did great for what he had to work with. If he had this administration and commitment it would have been a lot better.

2 Likes

We need CKS for 5 more years

2 Likes

Minimum. Let him coach here as long as he wants.

7 Likes

CKS said last year at a coach’s show that he wants to coach here 8-10 more years.

6 Likes