CMA Presser 10/16

100% correct. Plenty of our fans would love to see more lively interviews like this one…

2 Likes

I still remember seeing this before the Memphis game and turning to my wife to say “He gone”

2 Likes

Bad news for us this year. Very good for us next year. Younger guys have to get reps.

2 Likes

I think this will be a much improved team next year just because of the increase in talent. It will be up to the coaches to push them to be championship caliber.

3 Likes

I don’t know if there is a study with significant enough evidence to support the energy=win football games correlation. There’s more to it than that.

1 Like

I agree wholeheartedly. I’m a little biased to the defensive side of the ball; we have some under the radar but elite level kids here and on the way. CMA is a good recruiter. We also have the Smith/King QB battle (if King remains a QB option). I think the winner out of that will lead us to the conference championship!

3 Likes

Defense should be stout as long as we can find a few LBs that can replace Adams and Hines. DLine should be one of the best in the nation and the secondary will be young, but have more depth.

Offense could be exciting, but have some growing pains. WR will mostly be young and untested. Could be starting a freshman QB which is never smooth. We return some talent at OL (Noble, Jones, Jones), but we have to find the right combo and replacements for the right side of the line. RBs will be deep in talent. Main thing is that we should have a lot more speed playing next year.

3 Likes

Middle linebacker is my concern the most. I do think our outside guys will be insane!

We should get Egbule back, but he’s got to do better with his hand fighting to get off of blocks.
Willis-Dalton and David Anenih need to see more snaps. I think they end up being our guys going forward.

The Dline will be the best on paper, in history. The future is very bright.

3 Likes

is that high? 11 out of 24 or so.

Good question:

Game 6 depth chart - # of FR/SO:
2017: 17
2016: 21
2015: 19
2014: 20

Hmmm…no idea where the “11” number comes from. Only 5 are starting and 8 are on offense, 7 on defense, and 2 special teams. From the looks of it, we’re actually below where we’ve been with FR/SO on the depth chart.

2 Likes

great analysis. 11 seemed low.

Herman had some bs losses too. As did Sumlin and Briles. It is what it is.

There’s a portion of the growing anti-Applewhite contingent that only wants him to fail because he went to Texas. That’s stupid.

1 Like

Sometimes it helps a coach to win his first 10 games before having a bullshit loss or 19-2 before his first double digit loss. The past few days on Coogfans seems to be at about the same level of hysteria it was after we lost to SMU last year. Instead of fighting over which QB should start, we were fighting over if the offense or defense was to blame for the loss.

I knew he was gone after the SMU game.

1 Like

I know you said only a portion so I am not trying to take it out of context when I say this. I had never really considered that angle (I had some animosity to bringing in Penders but once he was “our guy” and flashed the Cougar sign, I got onboard pretty quickly) but I am guessing there are a few groups that have more members than the I-am-against-CMA-because-he-is-a-horn: (in descending order of # of members)

1. He was not their coach of choice last year and they wanted to go a different direction (Orlando or an outsider)
  2. He is not playing their QB (whether it’s King, Postma or Allen at any given time)
  3. They have memories of a Peach Bowl win over FSU and expect nothing less than a Conf Championship and NY6 Bowl bid each season.
  4. UH is THE school of offense and, even if they go .500, UH better score 40 pts / game like Briles or Jenkins
  5. Major is a Horn

That was just for fun but you made me think about it.

1 Like