Coach Sampson Radio Show

Well he should, it’s fairly prestigious. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

He’s asking if it’s too late for you to change your vote.

Just a bit rigged.

Michaux was a power forward. Elvin Hayes was a center.

1 Like

Yep, I agree but that’s ok. Just pretend Ken Spain was mostly at the Center position n it will work for all.

Dickie
Grimes
Clyde Drexler
Elvin Hayes
Dream
Sampson

I don’t know much about the older guys but based on the last 7 years of Houston basketball I’ve seen i like those guys. Unpopular opinion but CKS has literally built this back up from the ground up in 7 years. While GVL was here 30 years and created history. CKS will also have something after him here as well in the future. His winning percentage is higher thus far and he has the same amount of regular season titles. Should be 3 but we got robbed last year. Hopefully more final fours to come.

Grimes was good, but not in the same class as Rob Williams was during his time with the Coogs.

2 Likes

No PG, or really guard period, we’re as good as Rob. Not many guards can dominate a game

I think they should have just created 2 or 3 groups.
One group to select two bigs
And one group for a PG and a third to pick two guards/ Small forwards.

I never saw Phi Slama teams so I picked the folks I saw from early 90s onwards -
Hence my pick was -
Derrick Daniels
Aubrey Coleman
Gee Gervin
Bo Outlaw
Nobody for center

Now I did see Clyde, Hakeem as Rockets and of course hard to beat them

Bo was a center

3 Likes

Shot blocking extraordinaire.

I appreciate the younger guys noting that they didn’t see the older players , so therefore this is how I vote! #Fair

We are going to have figure out a way to account for players nowadays only playing 2-3 years in college if they are really good. It’s really hard to compare the current times to the 80s and before.

1 Like

Missed the first half of Coach’s show Monday night. Loved being able to go to the Varsity web site and hear the podcast.

1 Like

And Guy built us equally into a powerhouse and won a lot of games with players lightly recruited like Hayes, Dream etc
Remember most of our early games under Guy were at Delmar Feildhouse, the Coliseum and a few at tiny Jeppesen Gym on campus.
Our game against UCLA in the Dome changed college hoops forever.
Love what Sampson has done but sorry he is not on the same playing field as a Coog as Guy V

6 Likes

I had Galen, but otherwise, identical to mine.

1 Like

Agreed, but once the Natty comes, that changes everything.

2 Likes

Bring them on!

1 Like

So many great players . You could easily field three or five great teams. I too would put Young on the second team with Chaney, Dwight Jones, Dwight Davis and Ollie Taylor.
That still leaves guys like Poo Welch, Bo Outlaw, Lou Dunbar, Spain, Wayne Ballard, Deeky, Grimes and many others.
Young or old we Coogs have a lot to be thankful for…with more to come!

4 Likes

Tonight!
#GoCoogs!

3 Likes