Coaching

Some people thought the best we would do is be bowl eligible.

Holgorsen has nothing to prove to me. Dude knows how to coach.

9 Likes

For the record, I will publicly predict a perfect season every year whether I believe it or not. I just can’t bring myself to predicting a Coog loss. If that bothers anyone they will just have to be bothered.

How many losses a coach has isn’t necessarily indicative of how well he, or his staff, is coaching. Look at how Sampson did his first year with the leftovers from Dickey. He had a losing record but he really coached well just to get the wins he did.

Contrary to what some posters seem to think, CDH does not coach the guys to fumble, miss tackles, get penalties, drop passes, or whiff on blocks. He will do just fine given time to build the team and coach up some of the guys we now have.

8 Likes

And we will when he has his team. Remember that the guy on the other sideline is in his 3rd year at SMU.

That was probably the difference in this game. IMHO, SMU is living on borrowed time this season.

3 Likes

Solid contribution Mike.

I remember someone (may have been you) before the season saying one of the coaches said something like everyone better get their licks in now because we are going to be tough in 2020.

That stuck with me and makes me feel a bit better about where we are. It seems the coaches were expecting a transition.

1 Like

I completely disagree. With Applewhite, the recruiting took a huge turn for the worst and it didn’t seem like the program was going anywhere. I at least feel like Holgo has a plan for the program and has already brought some good players. Time will tell how that turns out but I feel 100% better with him at the helm as opposed to applewhite.

4 Likes

Last years team didn’t make a Bowl.

They were in one, but the team didn’t show up.

6 Likes

You know Holgerson will have a head set ready for him. Case woud be a real good QB coach with all his experience, plus he can work with King and Tune to look to the middle of the field more. I could see Case becoming the offense coordinator after a year as QB coach and getting some coaching experience.

Yes Sir, I am looking forward to seeing the ever improving defense next year
get yer licks in now cause the forecast calls for pain
Thanks Clubber !

3 Likes

I have often hoped that would be the Case
pun intended.

2 Likes

The team this year might be sitting alone at home while eating Cheetos for a bowl game.

Sampson, Briles, Yeoman, etc
they all took fledgling programs and made them great competitors after tough first years. And all three were (are) hands-on coaches. Not a CEO in the bunch. They ran things. The same way Holgorsen is going to run his offense.

1 Like

You would like that, wouldn’t you? Big 12 fan.

Big 12 fan? As if there is such a thing.

25, 31, 17, 34

An average of 27.

That is how many points our Defense has allowed in the last 4 games. And 7 of those came from a 2 yard TD drive by SMU after Tune fumbled.

This is incredible improvement from 2018! We can build on this.

There is no Ed Oliver on this Defense, and all our LB’s are injured.

This must be Coaching.

6 Likes

$8 million invested in coaches.

Even if we dont have the talent and depth this year, these coaches should be able to coach better than we’ve possibly ever seen at UH.

$8 million should be buying us a different level of coaching/teaching/ strategic decision making

Exactly
 this is why i am so critical of some obvious coaching errors being made. People want to sum it up to lack of talent but that doesn’t explain the running play at the end of the first half that resulted in a rushed field goal or the hail mary attempt from the pocket on Thursday.

“Some obvious coaching mistakes”

That statement is pretty funny by itself

2 Likes

Let’s see: obvious coaching mistakes to overpaid coaches.
What’s the final score of UT vs TCU?
Obvious coaching mistakes.
And OU vs KState?
Obvious coaching mistakes.

2 Likes

First, the kids played their hearts out Thursday. The defense was solid. But, play calling did not put the team in a position to win. Sorry guys, just as frustrated as you all, but I too don’t buy this lack of talent excuse that is being banded around here. The one that gets really old is the “ wait until next year”, like teams beating us right now are suddenly going to be cream puffs next season. Who know how the dynamos will fall next season with injuries, transfers etc.You are what your record says you are. Objectively, 8 million is a lot of dough for 3 wins against, UConn, North Texas, and Prairie view, all teams with losing records. I wonder how much CMA and crew received.

3 Likes