Concerts

Recently attended the Smashing Pumpkins/Jane’s Addiction concert at Toyota Center. Pumpkins were outstanding. Jane’s Addiction is an acquired taste, but the 3 exotic dancers (bikini tops/thongs) were an interesting choreographic distraction. I assume they were part of the act. It was like watching a heavy metal band playing at the Ritz.

Not long ago, attended Alice In Chains, Breaking Benjamin and Bush at CWM Pavilion.

I didn’t see many of the alternative/grunge groups of the 90’s so it was an effort to catch up on my attendance resume of rock concerts.

Among the groups I regret not having seen…

Tom Petty (deceased), Nirvana, Soundgarden, Metallica, R.E.M. and Garbage.

Next up, Springsteen in February. Another iconic rocker that I want to see (again) before he or I pass from this world. Joking.

2 Likes

Who wore it better Springsteen or Allen? Or is it just Allen or Springsteen in all the pictures. Damn, getting old sucks.

Not an Allen fan so I vote for The Boss.

And yes….getting old sucks.

Not an Allen fan either…but when i saw that picture i was shocked.

I have not seen Springsteen i better get after it before I can’t.

I saw REM twice.

Catching Green Day at COTA in 2 weeks.

Someone i wish I had seen perform, MJ and Prince.

I saw Green Day in 2002 or 2003 in the Woodlands. They were playing with Blink. We actually went more to see Blink but Green Day stole the show. They were awesome.

Hard to believe that was 20 years ago.

1 Like

Had tickets 3 times for Bob Marley. All 3 cancelled. Never got to see him live and I was his biggest fan while at UH. Saw Toots & the Maytals a couple of time and Peter Tosh.

Once took 4 folks in my VW bus to the Texas Opry House to see Elvis Costello the first time he ever came to Houston. We were the entire audience. Pretty cool deal buying the band beers. I had bought that first album maybe a month before just based on the name & cover.

1 Like

the boss sucks too

1 Like

I think “Darkness on the Edge of Town” is one of the best albums in my lifetime.

2 Likes

Of course you do. Sheep.

1 Like

Saw George Strait at 610 free concert at miller outdoor theater, before he made it big

1 Like

Saw Santana play at a Walnut Creek, California high school auditorium back in the day.

1 Like

Saw them at the texas jam with journey and joan jett and the blackhearts

1 Like

Me and the wife saw Billy Joel at Minute Maid a couple of weeks ago. If Billy is getting old, he sure didn’t sound like it. Fantastic show!

• Funny of all the cities in Texas, Houston was the only one on his tour.
3 Likes

Used to book Gloria Estephan’s band for weddings back in Miami

1 Like

I was there. Great concet!

Going to see YES at the Arena Theatre on Thursday night. Never been there. Any tips on getting in and out.
I used to work out of Sharpstown back in the early 90s.
How’s the area now?

1 Like

Dangerous.

https://communitycrimemap.com/

You’ll be OK, garage parking and then straight into the venue. I don’t think you need to go outside at all.

Sounds like The Batman origin story.

Maaaarrrrtha!!!

Even though I haven’t listened to them much since High School, they are on my list to see. Hoping they are back at ACL in the next couple years. I was bummed out when Willie Nelson canceled his tour because of covid, had tickets to see him here. Hoping I get one more shot before he is gone.

As for what I have been to, I’m not a huge music person but have seen a solid variety. ACL when the Chili Peppers were there and they were awesome. Also Run the Jewels and Ice Cube had an impressive show, Jay Z was underwhelming. Went to the Houston car show with the whole H-town lineup back in like 2010. Also did a Chamillionaire concert. Was supposed to see Bone Thugs one year but they never showed because of ice/snow (still think it was bullsh*t!). Got to see R Kelly years ago. Did a NOFX concert and enjoyed the moshpit. Seen the Toadies (Fort Worth band) multiple times and the Old 97s once. Then one of my favorites was the music of Queen with the FW symphony orchestra, the singer was pretty spot on and having the symphony orchestra background was interesting.