Conference Highlights

I watched the last 4 minutes. Tulane was like the snake that just wouldn’t die. At no point did they look like equals. Tulane wouldn’t give up though. It’ll be interesting to see what happens with the Tulane program over the next few years. They were playing with a lot of heart. CKS said the other day that the way a team plays says a lot about the coach. Tulane needs talent and depth, but they have the heart.

2 Likes

Tulsa is playing well lately. if they can win a couple in the conference tournament, they might
have a chance to make it as 4th team from AAC?

No quality wins and weak OOC. NIT at best unless they win the AAC

Unfortunatetly, I think Witchita has the potential to be an easy out in the tourney. They live and die by the 3, so teams who can stick with them on the perimeter will give them fits. Also, they don’t defend the 3 particularly well, so they are going to struggle against teams who do shoot the 3 well and play quality perimeter defense.

I looked back at all their games that were decided by less than 10 points. In those 10 games, the opposing team shot an average of 39.46% from 3. In 3 of those games, the opposing team shot better than 50% from 3.

https://twitter.com/american_mbb/status/967929790404710400

Looking at the overall records our conference could have a lot of teams playing legit postseason ball, ncaa or nit.

Playing around here, if these standings remain the same, it looks like we would play the Temple/ECU winner our first game. In the semi’s, we’d go against either Cincy or WSU, assuming they both survive their first games (and this weekend’s game between the two to decide nr. 1 in the standing). If the team is ready to go, we should at least make it to the semi’s at which case I like our odds of making to the finals against UC or WSU. Beating them both would be hard rock candy, and taste just as sweet, imo. Who thinks there might be upsets among the way?

I don’t know if I see any upsets coming this year unless Temple or Memphis has a hot shooting night. SMU and UCF have been ravaged by injuries, Tulane has taken a nosedive, ECU and USF are two of the worst teams in Div 1 basketball and Tulsa has been playing above their heads to sneak into 4th. Think we’ll end up with Cincy, WSU, UH, and either Tulsa/Memphis in the Semis.

I think UCF holds the tiebreaker over Temple and, with Temple’s loss last night, makes it likely we’ll get either UCF or ECU in the Quarters. I don’t see us losing to either as I don’t think the “homecourt” would be enough to lift UCF this year like it did for UCONN last year.

This Sunday’s WSU/Cincy game should be a barn burner, but I don’t see the Bearcats taking WSU in Wichita. That would have us playing Cincy in the semi’s with the Shockers waiting for the winner. Any insight here?

Either game is going to be tough and both will be looking for revenge against us. A lot will depend on fatigue and who’s hitting their shots as well as how the refs call the games.

If I had to pick, I’d rather face Wichita State in the Semis as I think we match up better. The Cincy matchup requires the refs to have a looser whistle as they did when we played them here…not sure we’ll get that.

1 Like

For tourney purposes, the 3, 4, and 12 seeds are set as the Coogs, Memphis and USF are locked in.

I guess, the 3 seed isn’t locked up…yet

https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/969679746962423808

I was going to say there’s no way ECU beats Memphis, but Memphis just got jacked up by USF, so I guess anything’s possible. And maybe USF is feeling really confident and beats SMU? Not getting my hopes up. We should have just taken care of business against Memphis, and probably Tulane, although there were extenuating circumstances there.

1 Like

If you believe all of that can happen, you should put money on it as the payout should be substantial.

2 Likes

yeah we definitely gonna be the 3 seed