Coogs in the Pros

They might be trying to evaluate their talents rather than relying on shared chemistry. Just a theory

5 Likes

There may actually be truth there. They need to see how they play with others and not do well just because they’re with each other.

1 Like

Ha! I Should have read all the way down before putting up my reply to Pesik.

summary of game 3

armoni came in the 2nd quarter…didnt look good 0-5 , was taken out not too long after

corey was put in late 3rd - he was way more assertive in his point guard roles, was taking the ball down, trying to run the offense…but at that point the wizards were already on a down hill slope and it didnt get better…

armoni finally put back in with corey, together, with 4 mins left, at this point its a full blown blow out…armoni came in with a fire, he was essential shooting it every time the ball touched his hands, looked good in that stretch…went 2 for 4 …he looked upset even after the ones he made, maybe his earlier performance was bothering him

1 Like

https://twitter.com/UHCougarMBK/status/1149341676772745217

Catching up on all of our guys so far:

1 Like

Both Corey and Armoni didn’t suit up tonight.

1 game left

Galen got to start the last game for the Spurs and got 25mins

4pt 4rbs 5 ast 1 blk 1 stl

5 Likes

Love our guys but their performance on the big stage further reinforces the magic of Coach Sampson.
Kelvin does so much with our young men. Go Coogs!

1 Like

Five assists in half a game is pretty awesome let alone 4 rebounds to boot. Not a bad stat line by G-Rob.

5 Likes

https://twitter.com/basscase21/status/1150063060683563008

2 Likes

wizards last game is on now…armoni getting early minutes…this is the most aggressive ive ever seen armoni ever…which is good

the problem: he is just having a horrible shooting game…currently 1-8 (0-5 from 3) and has only played half a quarter

https://twitter.com/g_robinson1/status/1150095245729652736

2 Likes

Can San Antonio have “Two Robinsons” with Jerseys in 50s…??!..David and Galen!

3 Likes

Reading through the recaps makes me laugh. Sorry but some of you overreact to everything you see in a summer league.
And going in there and trying to put up huge numbers is not the way to get invited to training camp.
Of course they are hesitant and nervous but they are also trying to do what the coach wants.
What you are seeing in the game is only a small portion of what goes into their evaluations.

okay but
we shouldn’t look into their decreasing minutes per game??
or that game 4 they were one the few players on their 19 player roster that didnt get minutes??
or that they removed the players with guaranteed contracts players on game 5 and neither still got barely any minutes

or that they players that impressed during summer league have already been given 2 way contracts, none of which were our guys

.i dont see how there’s anyway you can categorize their summer league (wizards players) as anything but a let down

also
“going in there and trying to put up huge numbers is not the way to get invited to training camp.” i completely disagree, a tiny tiny fraction of summer league players who werent already on contract will make a nba roster…they arent looking for players who were role players on summer league teams…the players putting up huge numbers are the ones who make rosters…they are looking for stars in the summer league who can be role player in the NBA

i watched numerous summer league interviews with nba head coaches and all a basically said the same thing…most said they werent looking for perfect but were looking for confidence on offense and a motor .

if im honest i thought corey was easily the best defender on the wizards…but i could tell that wasnt as big a deal there and they put in offensive players over him

1 Like

This ain’t the AAU and or the rec league.
Of course very possible they just don’t have the game and need more time to develop. The best chance they have of getting invited back is to practice well and play within the constraints of what the staff wants.
You call it a let down based on the limited time you have seen from them. Really it was just a great opportunity for them to learn and set the stage for the future.
These guys were not going to come in and average 20 points per game. The staff will be looking at attitude, hustle, intelligence and coachability, something I have no doubt all these guys have excelled.

2 Likes

The problem is when your undrafted and brought in for summer league you have to make an impression. If your strength is shooting than you have to show it in games as well as practice. Brooks’ calling card is shooting so seeing him shoot 17% is disappointing along with his overall lack of aggression. I don’t think this is the end of his story just a disappointing summer league.

Usually there 1-2 spots available per team so you have to play within the team but standout. So all we are saying is they played poorly considering what we expected. They both will hopefully getting another shot going forward.

1 Like

Yes you want to take your shots. Good shots but confident and good shots. In Brooks case he just needs to improve. This is why we can replace much of what he gave us. Even vs Kentucky he was not much of a factor until we had to have it at the end. It’s pretty much what he has been at UH so I just saw it as a great opportunity to learn with an NBA staff. They are having a lot of things thrown at them so it can be hard to play freely with confidence in limited min and just a few games.
As for C. Davis, he was not a great ball handler at UH. Him playing point for extended min usually resulted in TOs. But what he is short on he has a lot of plusses in other areas. Fearless and tough are two of his trademarks. Doesn’t hurt that he can shoot as well.