Cougars Are #4 Nationally in…

Maybe in 6 years we will say the same about this roster (except probably not a NY6 bowl win)

1 Like

Yes, we can move up three more spots. A whole friggin’ ton!

~35th sounds right with maybe a little upside to improve to 25th or so, which is very good for a G5 defense.

1 Like

Let’s talk after the SMU game, huh?

2 Likes

Agree that SMU will answer a lot of questions. So far, it’s looked a lot like Applewhite’s last year with us. A recap…

1 Like

Not quite. Go back and look at those teams. Pretty sure several of those scores are amongst the highest any of those put up against an FBS team with a pulse that year.

This year we held Tulsa to their lowest point total. Rice to their second lowest point total. Tulane to 1 point above their lowest point total. The Tech one is a little worse but we gave up 4 picks and the offense gave zero help in the second half controlling possession. Navy looked like they were bad offensively but since firing their o coordinator we held them to less than both UCF and SMU. We did hold Grambling to zero but so did Southern Miss, which is their only other FBS opponent, so that doesn’t count.

1 Like

This defense is light years better than any of applewhites teams…

7 Likes

I’m most impressed with the tackling prowess of the current squad. Don’t seem to miss many.

3 Likes

They cover very well.

Tackling is sharp.

The DL is dominating, thus Sack Ave.

I like it a lot. And IF we make it to Cincy in December our Defense will be the only reason we may have a chance.

Those of us who watched Yeoman’s teams know he had killer defenses,

One Yeoman objective was to hold opponents’ rushing games under 100 yards. The “Mad Dogs” always knew that.

We now do the same.

5 Likes

I really think our defense is good enough to beat anyone left on our schedule, if the offense just plays decently. Cincinnati might be a different story, but I think we can slow them down a bit, too.

1 Like

Here’s how the best possible scenario plays out:

We scratch and claw our way into the championship.

On that day we have our one breakout turnover game (causing 3-4) of the season and eek out an exciting contest in the last minute. Maybe by a FG.

Story book finish. And one that finally endears Dana to our fans.

2 Likes

When talking about the defense it is more about projection than focusing on stats.
I still think we can and will get better.
It wasn’t all peaches for that 2015 defense but they ended with a huge bang. Hope this D gets that same chance on a big stage.

2 Likes

I like how our D matches up with UC offense. my biggest worry there is their TEs. Those boys are huge and I don’t know how we cover them if Ridder puts the ball up high where only their guy can reach it.

On offense, If we played them this week, I would not like our chances. Everything hangs on how much better the line gets and whether Tune can run.

But lets get there first.

1 Like

You forgot to mention the team carries Dana off the field on their shoulders.

You mean it wasn’t because LTH got a grill?

1 Like

Do you mean the AAC championship, because we won’t be in the CFP?

Uh…yea

Just for grins scenario:
We beat SMU and they beat Cincinnati :stuck_out_tongue:
We host CCG against SMU, beat them again making us one of the few teams left with only one loss if Georgia, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, UTSA and San Diego State lose one. Top Ten and in conversation for CFP but of course get denied.

Seen stranger stuff and I hate bye weeks. :sunglasses:

1 Like

No way we’d be ranked top 10. Schedule is snuggley soft and we are too far back in the rankings to start. NY6 would go to BYU or Coastal Carolina?

You’ve seen stranger stuff than what you just described? Not me, man. That’s some serious fantasy you just described.

1 Like