Could CFP Expansion to 12 Teams Eliminate G5 label?

We will still be a G5 team, but if we are successful in the new playoff system; by that I mean winning conferences and making big bowl games; they will call us a P5 team in a G5 conference simply due to us being in Houston.

This is a HUGE opportunity for Houston and even Rice. SMU will benefit too.

If they let us play for the title all those non blue bloods are going to have to play us and win to argue we aren’t good enough. I like that. Hopefully the Aggies will be on the list. I would love to beat them.

Never is too bold of a statement. Let’s face it, Saban has to retire at some point unless he were to die on the job. Every school has it’s dry spells.

1 Like

To the same effect, if you said a decade ago that Memphis would be the clear top football team in Tennessee, you’d be institutionalized. Things change in ways that we can’t predict; unlikely stuff happens.

1 Like

Ok I agree on tenn but ole miss, miss st , Kentucky
Prob almost never. Arkansas has had issues since leaving the Texas recruiting grounds so they traded money for lack of wins.

1 Like

I think Arkansas recruits Texas fine. Playing better teams every weekend is what caused their issues.

1 Like

It was coaching. When they finally obtained a good coach, they were doing pretty well. If not for a motorcycle wreck, they may have continued that trajectory.

Arkansas is similar to UH in that respect. But nod towards us for going to significant bowl games.

I agree

You sound like a wacky conspiracy theorist. Of course Aresco and Thompson and other G5 commissioners had to accept the CFP deal. What else could they have possibly done? Obviously there’s no guarantee that the AAC will have its champion in the top six, but since they’re probably going to add computers to the group that does the rankings, chances are we will get that slot as often as we’ve gotten the access bowl, which is 5 of the 7 years the CFP has been in existence.

5 Likes

The two years we didn’t represent the G5, our champion had three losses (9-3 Memphis and 10-3 Temple). I can’t especially argue with the exclusion. No reason to expect the playoffs to be any different in this regard. The P5 may not like us, but with the exception of Boise they like everyone else in the G5 less.

1 Like

Isn’t it likely that the teams that have played in the 5th Jan bowl the past few y/ears would now be in the 12 team playoff?

1 Like

If we got P5 money, I wouldn’t care if people called G5 the Pee Wee Division.

1 Like

The G5’s commissioners had no choice?
Here is your wacky conspiracy theorist response.
What did Utah and senator Orin Hatch do?
What did Orin Hatch do and say about the precursor to the cfp?
Where did Utah end up?
The second the G5’s commissioners signed their “life away” to the cartel/cfp they had no chance at suing them to gain entry into the cfp.
Since when does it say anywhere that the P5’s can control college football instead of the ncaa?
Even though the so called National championship is not sanctioned by the ncaa the regular season is. Why is that?
You might reply that the cartel/cfp will create their own league. They have already done so with the P5’s.
The NFL does not want to create a “minor league” system like MLB because of cost. How long do you think people would have watch the current cfp with the same schools year after year? This is why and why only the cartel cracked the door open for expansion. This has nothing to do with the G5’s sports prowess.
The ncaa could very well organize a real National Championship with **ALL G5’s **conference champions. Your wacky conspiracy theorist is asking you why don’t they?

The new playoff is as good as it’s going to get and is fine as far as I’m concerned. The MAC champion would typically go something like 4-8 playing an SEC or Big 10 schedule and would hardly ever be worthy of making a 12-team playoff. I don’t think there was an Orrin Hatch chairing a subcommittee in the Senate in 2013 or so, not that he would have made any difference for Utah moving up had Texas and OU joined the PAC.

1 Like

Does the MAC members play in FBS Div I or not?
It is your prerogative to belittle the MAC conference. The fact is and that is a fact they play FBS Div I. By this definition they should play for the ultimate price. It is your prerogative to justify the cartel and the CFP.
Now your conspiracy theorist will ask you the following.
We were part of c-usa. Your reasoning is telling us even as a c-usa champion we would not belong. I wonder how you would really feel if that was the case?
There are 11 FBS Div I conferences:

You can’t have it both ways. You are either FBS Div I or not. This is why the G5’s commissioners signing off on the cfp was a monumental mistake.
11 conference champions representing the 11 FBS Div I conferences should logically be the norm with five at large. Do not tell us it extends the season too long? When does the cfp salad bowl takes place in relationship with the end of the regular season?
When does the P5’s schools say it is not fair? Go relocate yourself into one of these 11 conferences. You know very well this has nothing to do with sports. On any given day everything is possible. It has everything to do with money.

hate to quibble but there are 10 FBS Div1 conferences. They are commonly referred to as P5 and G5

1 Like

If we had not signed on to the 4-team playoff deal, we likely would have lost the lawsuit and also been excluded from the playoffs and NY6 bowls as well as CFP money.

(With a 12 team playoff or maybe even 8, it’s a different story. The collusion is more evident because exclusion becomes much more difficult to defend. That is the main reason we were not excluded.)

You are correct. It is 10 and the so call called FBS independents. Thank you for the correction. As far as the lawsuit Alex we have no clues. One thing is sure though the public opinion will always ask for fairness. The cfp/cartel system is the exact opposite of it. The current cfp format is already backfiring against the cartel that is why they are cracking the door open.

An unbelievable opportunity for our Conference.

Imagine hosting a first round game at our Stadium! Could UH sell some tickets to that December game? Wonderful weather, National Playoffs, a quality opponent!

And the recruiting boost!

5 Likes

Being champion of a weak conference does not entitle a program to make the playoff. In 2019 the MAC champion was Miami (OH). They finished 9-6 with a 76-5 loss to Ohio State, a 38-14 loss to Iowa, a 35-13 loss to Cincinnati, a 41-27 loss to Ball State, a 38-16 loss to Western Michigan, and a 27-17 loss to Louisiana-Lafayette in the Lending Tree Bowl. How such a team should qualify for a 12-team playoff is beyond me.

2 Likes