Could FC Expand?

I gotcha man.

Yeah, just need a better word.

Cause they announce a sellout on Twitter.

Im like f*ck yeah. And then i show up at the arena & Im like where all da people at

2 Likes

Beyond that, even with the excitement around the program, any kind of structural expansion would cost so much that it would never pay out.

I’ve been to probably 95ish% of games at FC and see zero reason to ever expand. I could care less about who has the biggest stadium in the B12.

7 Likes

Yeah mentioned before. The small stadium came with consultation from Sampson and Co.

They wanted to cater to the campus population in the area.

We don’t need to expand. Make it crazy first, then focus on say ‘hey can we add a few more seats on the upper deck?’

Don’t think it’s structurally possible to expand without taking a while for the project though.

1 Like

How big is UT’s new arena? How big was their old one? Now do Baylor. And Auburn. And Georgia Tech.

Now look at a lot of recent renovations like at Tennessee, Cal, TCU, SMU

Smaller is the future.

If we ever expand, it’ll just be a few hundred seats. We could ditch the “box” and reconfigure some of the wasted space in the “upper” deck. But that will only happen after years of sellouts when our fan base proves the need.

3 Likes

smaller is relative. a few teams like ut and bama are reducing from mega arenas to just big arenas
 and most of the reductions listed the reduction was a byproduct of needing to make room to add something else and not intentionally trying to remove seats, and few of those listed were only reduced by a few hundred seats

also using baylor as an example is shaky, since the person who picked our arena picked theres 
using baylor is just saying mack rhoades like small arenas
 and UT its still 10k, auburn still 9k, gtech still 9k (the public schools)

and removing the word “reduction” and actually looking at the capacity itself, every major team arena announced the last 2 years from public schools have been 9 to 10k (utsa 10k, bama 10k, texas 10k
 there really isnt a movement for 7k arenas amoung major teams
 honestly if you remove mack rhoades, there are no high major intentionally doing 7k, but bad teams who got small arenas when they were bad, and became mega teams later on
 rhoades is the only one goin that small on good teams

speaking on rhoardes/baylor, something i thought was shady lol Baylor’s new arena is basically Houston’s arena, identical interior design (strike one unorginal), but will be built with the camera facing the students and not the expensive donors gray seats 
hmm something about that bothers me lol

1 Like

Just add bleachers.

2 Likes

I am very concerned about low attendance in our student section and when they do show up for a big game the atmosphere is not near the same as schools like TeeTee, Baylor , Duke etc.
When our crowd gets rowdy it’s usually the old timers and that concerns me for the future

3 Likes

I didn’t see it before but the glass front, the two video end boards, the club section, and the position of the seats in the stadium are just like FC. Wonder if that was on purpose :thinking::thinking::thinking:

TCU’s issue is they don’t have a big enough season ticket holder base and have a large amount of single game tickets available. We wont have that issue in basketball and clearly Tech doesn’t travel as well to Houston based on our previous football games. I don’t think we will have as much of a demand from visitors as a school like TCU (who has similar capacity) because most schools in the Big 12 have a much larger DFW alumni base or its easier to travel to TCU. They only sold out like 3 games last season too. Our issue will be that we have too many of our own fans if we keep growing. Single game tickets may not exist for us in a few years.

(Facility Friday: Baylor Riverfront Basketball Pavilion and More | Athletic Business)

I don’t see it. I don’t see interior design similarities between Foster Pavilion and FC. It looks like a pretty great arena. I can’t wait to see the Coogs play road conference games there.

Kansas, Arizona, Baylor, Tech, West Virginia, etc. in a sold out Fertitta. I cannot wait.

1 Like

Depends. The game at Robertson where Case won it with a last-minute score was packed, and there were probably more Tech fans outside the stadium than had tickets to get in. The last Tech game at TDECU wasn’t well attended, for sure (by either fan base, really).

If they get back to winning games, their Houston alumni base will show up, in my opinion.

Still compared to like 15-20k at a TCU game, they wont do that in Houston. Last game looked like TCU’s colors were purple and red. I would guess Tech has at least twice as many alums in DFW than Houston and many times more casual fans. Plus its half the distance driving for those in Lubbock.

It will be interesting to see how many fans of other schools come for basketball. Of course Kansas will have all their t-shirt fans, but wonder if the others show up that strong.

It won’t be like TCU, but for a lot of the DFW Tech alums, a drive to Houston is still shorter than going to Lubbock. The thing that will keep them away is that many of them hate Houston. :laughing:

I suspect they’ll show up for basketball, though, unless they start to suck again.

If they flocked to a game in Houston like they do to all the home games in Lubbock, they would fill over half our stadium. They must really love the nostalgia of going back to Tech or hate Houston that much!

Tech fans will be all over FC. I hope our STH show up and not sell their tickets cuz there’s plenty of Tech alums in Houston.

1 Like

There is little doubt that a number of UH basketball season ticket holders will put their tickets up for sale for either the Texas Tech &/or the Baylor game(s) at the Fertitta Center. [And you’ll probably hear some folks try to justify it by saying that they feel that they can scalp some of the TT & BU fans and use the $$$ to help pay for the rest of their UH game tickets.]

1 Like

Tech fans, BYU fans, probably Baylor fans.

That is one thing im curious about with Baylor. Great basketball program. How devoted is their basketball fanbase?

2010, i went to the regional at NRG Stadium. It was Duke, Purdue, Baylor and St Marys. And it was a great Baylor crowd there.

Ive heard their attendance in Waco though, for a top 10 program, they’re not packing the place like youd think

And then when Kansas comes to FC, i could see alot of the “common basketball fan” going for those tickets on Stubhub. Not worried about KU Alumni in Houston. How many are there?

We should care less about any fans traveling. The place should be full with only Cougar fans. That’s how you build an atmosphere in your home court. Not with opposing fans.

1 Like