Could Houston win its way into the Big 12?

Could Houston win its way into the Big 12?

"Yurachek understands the recruiting reluctance. But he recently drove from Baton Rouge, La., to Houston. That’s along Interstate 10. You enter Texas on I-10 at mile marker 880. It’s 880 miles across. El Paso is closer to the Pacific Ocean than it is to Beaumont, Texas.
Take that same kind of geography, Louisiana to Florida, and there are 14 Power-5 schools … that compete against each other,” Yurachek said. “I think there’s enough room in the state of Texas for another Power-5 school.”

Wow this quote tells it all. The shortage of talented players to go around is complete BS.

But, if we want to eat at the table, the schools already seated need to think we bring value. Only way we do that is win and increase our national appeal. #1-0

1 Like

Tramel is usually not the bearer of good news …

But aside from the geography lesson and smoke and mirrors about how we are a good candidate to someday get into a P5 …

It ended on a bad note about UH having to win its way into the Big12 by beating OU out the starting gate.

This is pretty much ALSO telling us left handedly that the expansion phone calls next week won’t amount to much other than a lot of gab and no real substance.

1 Like

The bit about geography would be great if we recruited plots of land to play football. Population-wise, though, Texas is slightly less than Florida and Georgia combined. Between the two of them, Florida and Georgia have 5 P5 schools, just like Texas.

1 Like

Heck it worked for tcu. For us though I would love it if we kept on winning and we’re extended an invite by ANY OTHER p5 conference. Telling the Big 12 to go Frak themselves would be absolute bliss.

Can you imagine what we would do to that conference if the SEC came our way?

These articles always seem to point out that Houston is probably P5 worthy, but conferences don’t want to wake a sleeping giant.

Have to agree with Yurachek; at this point its about winning and getting eyeballs, fans in the seats, and discussion. More we do that, the more that the other 3 P5 conferences will start to see the worth of the Houston market and possibly force the Big12 (or SEC, unlikely as it seems) to take action.

Be patient MajinCoog. What I want to see is OU and UH to the SEC; and I suspect that just may be in the cards - not immediately, but in just a few years!

1 Like

We’re going to have to but the BIG12 is the least desirable P5 except for it’s geography. If we keep winning, someone will come after us

1 Like