Could the city ever get behind our team?

I agree with Coach Sampson. I’ve never been one who goes to see the team we’re playing. Doesn’t matter to me. I really don’t care who it is. Everyone just needs to go see the Coogs.

5 Likes

I worked with a few Aggies at an engineering business in the late 80s and they all loved Phi Slama Jama. They were die hard A&M football fans but when it came to basketball, they were Houstonians that love the hometown basketball. That’s how deep it ran. It worked out it was after “Luv Ya Blue” was dead and none of the pro teams had championships so it wasn’t a requirement to get behind the team.

1 Like

Houston has too many alumni from other schools

On the other hand, you can usually count on a fair amount of those alumni from other schools showing up at our games. If UH alumni showed up in like % of those other alumni in the area, we would sellout every game, FB & BB.

1 Like

I was at UH from 1981-85. I remember the PSJ years, and it was always packed. I had to get in many times helping my room mate hand out flyers at the door for his marketing class in order to get in to stand and watch.

1 Like

This city supports a winner whether it be UH or the pros.

1 Like

We are the largest city without a fourth major professional sports team. Why can’t The Coogs fill that position?

We aren’t goint to supplant the Texans or the Astros in terms of fan interest or loyalty. Rockets? Probably not. But if Dallas has the NHL we have an elite college basketball program.

If Final Fours 35 years ago and an 8-0 start for the first time in 50 years makes us elite, then how many elite teams are their in college basketball?

Note: not arguing we aren’t elite. it’s purely subjective. Just don’t think many sports fans in Houston recognize us as elite

The greatness of Phi Slamma Jama eclipsed being just the University’s team and became a bunch of local kids ( one whose family had a BBQ joint not far from campus) and a big tall soccer player from Lagos, Nigeria. All of them could run, gun and dunk to the point where it was a thing of beauty.

Perception will take some time but the reality is there. Coaching, practice facilty, arena, commitment…,we are very very good.

3 Likes