Culture

We hear alot about it from our basketball program and how its a big reason they been successful. I think thats what the football program is missing and a identity.

I mean we can fire assistant coaches but at the end of the day it starts with HC. I think he (Dana) was a great OC but as a head coach at UH he has been underwhelming in 3 of his 4 seasons so far.

2 Likes

We haven’t even started conference play yet and we’re coming off of a 12-2 year and a trip to the conference championship game followed by a big bowl win over Auburn. How about we wait and see what happens Friday. Win Friday and we just might make another run like we did last year. Besides, there’s a good chance that we’ve already played the two best teams on our schedule (Tech and Kansas).

14 Likes

I will say every time we change coaches it seems an eternity waiting in the new scheme to be implemented and recruiting key players for any given system.

That sucks worse than our current situation, imo

3 Likes

In 2015, a new offensive and defensive scheme and championship culture was established in year 0 and led to a very successful season and NY6 win.

Not saying that CDH had the same horses but it’s year 4 and we haven’t seen. a championship culture established. I don’t know what this culture is.

8 Likes

Interesting comments from 365 on Cougar culture. It’s at the beginning and also a little about Holgerson at the 4:00 mark.

This is what we are putting out there for our conference mates.

4 Likes

Who are we exactly? What do we do?

2 Likes

Yeah I mean its just crazy to say that this year is a disappointment when we arent even half way in.everything is still in front of us. Stop being dorks and just root for your team. Enjoy the ride. There will be plenty of time to be upset when the season is actually over

5 Likes

I don’t think it’s ‘crazy’ to say this year is a disappointment. I’d say most would categorize the season thus far as such.

More commentary on UH’s season here:

1 Like

If you think this year has been a disappointment, you do not know college football. Losing at home to App. St. would be a disappointment, being #6 and getting killed at home by K. St. would be a disappointment. It will be tough going without Alton and Parrish, but if you are a fan of college football, you will want to see it live.

7 Likes

That wave looks quite angry. :joy:

1 Like

I agree. They do lack an identity. Dana wants to go heavy on the run but lacks the personnel to do it. I’m sure everyone knows what the definition of insanity is.

2 Likes

THUS FAR being the key word. The post I replied to said Dana had delivered disappointments 3 out of his 4 seasons. And that pisses me off to have just written this season off. You wanna talk about toxic culture its that right there. Everything we wanted out of this season is still in front of us. Did we all wanna be 4-0 at this point? Sure. But that doesnt mean regardless of how the rest of the season goes its a disappointment. Which is what the post I was responding to implied

2 Likes

I would just like to know what our identity is. What is our Brand?

Are we uptempo? No. What are we on offense?

On defense are we super aggressive? What are we on defense?

From an overall program standpoint.

Are we like the basketball team where we play harder than anyone else?

Are we more disciplined?

Do we overachieve?

What kind of players do we bring in?

So in short, Who the F are we?

In basketball the simple branding is heart and hustle. When you think Houston Cougar football what do you think?

7 Likes

This team was over hyped. I appreciate the hype but clearly this team isn’t as good as many thought. We lost to 2 Big 12 schools that look pretty good right now. Lets see how we look Friday. Hopefully Dana knows he can’t run up the middle on Tulane. Stats wise we’re about as even as you can get. This would be a good win but an even bigger loss. I think it’s pivotal gave for us. A win could do a lot for this team and a loss it could spiral. Wear your black and be loud.

1 Like

Friday night’s game featuring UTSA at MTSU (won at Miami) will be quite interesting. UTSA is 2-2 with a tough home loss to us and halftime tie at UT.

They fact that we played the two BEST teams on our schedule and lost both is why the excitement wanes.
As an AAC team to get people interested, you need to win the games against tough competition. The national media sees the rest of the AAC schedule as second rate.
And even if you go undefeated in conference they just yawn and say, we’ll look what happened when you stepped OOC.

3 Likes

LOVE the angry wave.

Other than tbe top 4 or 5 teams everyone seems to be pretty evenly matched.

On 790 just now CDH said he was bringing in CKS to talk to the team about the “ Next man up mentality “….hope they are listening.

2 Likes

That doesn’t sound very promising as far as the injury report ahead of Friday’s game