Dana is staying true

Transfers and JUCOs are the way to build a program.

https://247sports.com/college/oklahoma/Article/Lincoln-Riley-OU-Sooners-football-Theo-Howard-Jay-Boulware-Shane-Beamer-Alex-Grinch--142469283/

2 Likes

Transfer portal offers a more fluid redistribution of talent. I think the perception of transfers and Juco’s will change. I also think Dana’s attitude towards high school talent will adjust being in Houston

This article has educated me on the correct number of scholarships allowed.

As Holgorsen said, there are two ways to manage the 85 roster limit, recruiting and transfers. As for recruiting, rules have changed there too. The old limit was set at 25 a year, (counted as who was enrolled on the first day of classes each fall), but now the ‘25 limit’ has been adjusted to 100 total over a rolling four year period. So, in theory, a school could bring in any number in any given year, as long as they do not exceed 100 over the past 4 years.

Transfers on the other hand are not limited, (as Holgorsen well knew two years ago), and with the transfer portal, and the increase in graduate transfers, opportunities abound.

So transfers are not counted toward the 100 limit. :astonished:

3 Likes

Yes, I was really surprised when I read that as well. It makes it a lot easier to restock. It is noteworthy that CDH was the one consulted and who knew all of the rules and loopholes. When you are at a recruiting disadvantage, such as WVa due to location, or G5 schools because they aren’t allowed at the adult table, it pays well to know all of the rules and how you can employ them to best help build your team.

3 Likes

Good that transfers don’t count against the 100, but you still can’t go over 85 total at one time.

True qwan.

Thank you for the clarification, that explains a lot of the moves. Also, if I understand correctly, preferred walk-ons don’t count towards the scholarship total if they are put on scholarship after the first year. I believe CDH talked about that being another way to develop depth

Remember when UT and A$M used to load up with players even though the majority would never see the field just to keep schools like UH from recruiting “quality” players?

2 Likes

Before limits, UT would have 300 players on scholarships. They would take some players just to keep them from playing for someone else.

5 Likes

This was a sad period of dominate college programs burying kids who had no chance to compete. Shame on them and the coaches that supported this system.

2 Likes

Yet, the kids received a degree from UT. Ultimately, that’s the greater benefit

Good to see Coach Holgorsen at last night’s UConn game–shook hands and said quick “Hello”.

5 Likes

Did the same.

2 Likes

I’m telling you
we will look back on this as a truly great hire. I was sold years ago when he was our OC. You talk one on one with this guy, and man o man

9 Likes

My dentist was one of those. Was a RB or them in the early 70’s, told me he was like 12th on the depth chart.

Huh? Maybe about the same value or benefit as having an old Sears & Roebuck catalog around the outhouse? The ONLY way I would ever let my child attend UT is if they simply couldn’t get accepted by any other college that offered a degree in their area of interest. Even then, I would have to hold my nose.

4 Likes

Transfers should supplement a robust high school recruiting effort. Relying on them is a lazy shortcut. If we have a good S&T program, have a kid 4 or 5 years to learn the schemes, culture, and graduate then we have a longer term higher, quality program. There are a few high profile exceptions, but I am not aware of successful programs built on juco players or transfers.

I agree with you but bill Snyder at kstate did it with juco transfers.

The hypocrisy is that, by taking a juco transfer, he is depleting the team at the junior college from which he poached. But bill Snyder then loses two of his players to transferring and he whines about not building a team the right way.

Huh?

2 Likes

Snyder won 2 big 12 championship? He had a run in the late 90’s but never could win the big 12. His last 10 years were mediocre at best because that juco thing does not work long term.

1 Like