Dana is staying true

What did the similar schools of Kansas, Iowa St, and Tech do in that period?

1 Like

2003 outright and a share in 2012.

His last 4 were definitely mediocre but he had a nice few year run before that. I give him some grace there at the end. He was like 114 years old.

You do know UT is a really good school right??

2 Likes

Benedict Arnold was a good soldier. His ethics and honor
not so much.

4 Likes

Snyder won the Big 12 twice, as many times as Texas from 2000-2018, the North Division four times, and he won seven national coach of the year awards. Between ‘13-‘18 he averaged 8 wins per season. We’re talking about Kansas State, not Ohio State, Florida State, or Louisiana State. In the five seasons before Snyder arrived, Kansas State won a grand total of SIX games. They were to the Big 8 what the Washington Generals were to the Globetrotters. Kansas State was never going to sign highly rated classes, so Snyder decided to go another route. He was inducted into the Hall of Fame before he retired, so I guess one could say it worked out okay.

5 Likes

Sam:

image https://media1.giphy.com/media/13py6c5BSnBkic/giphy.gif

1 Like

Snyder’s team consistently knocked off higher ranked Oklahoma, Et Al in the Big XII-4+2 Championship. I believe one time OU still went to the Natty after losing to K-State.

Snyder’s K State teams were ranked in the Top 25 during the last 3 years of the Big 8 ('93-'95) and during the first 8 years of the Big 12 ('96-'03) - including being ranked in the Top 10 during 8 of those 11 years and averaging winning 10 games per season over that 11 year period.

That was done with virtually no home recruiting base and with an absymal prior FB history, so this was a truly remarkable achievement accomplished primarily thru an effective use of JUCO recruiting!

We would all absolutely love to see Dana Holgorsen be able to have this kind of success (ie; 10 win seasons & Top 10 rankings) with an effective JUCO/transfer recruiting strategy!

2 Likes

The fact of the matter is that elite recruits don’t want to go to G5 schools. You aren’t going to pick up recruiting classes filled with elite high school athletes as a G5.

1 Like

Most JUCOs have to graduate with an associate degree to play football at a four-year college. So they’re depleted by graduation first.

2 Likes

In 30 odd years of following college football I had absolutely no idea that juco transfer players were graduates.

The only ones that aren’t grads were academic qualifiers out of HS which isn’t typical.

In any event, a player can only use 2 years of eligibility at a JUCO. One of the main purposes of junior colleges is to prepare students to get a 4 year degree at a university.

2 Likes