Dana Rumors

Todd Orlando will probably be available…

2 Likes

UH could do worse (and has!).

1 Like

I am sorry that we may be losing Belk if that is true … DCs are difficult to find especially those that are developing… he has been with Holgi since WVa and only this year took over as DC … I would have hoped that he stay another year before leaving as it is my opinion he needs another year to hone the defense … our defense was decent but we played some really chumpy teams … the SMU and Memphis and ECU games were not and too close for comfort and we were fortunate to have pulled away a victory … I realize this will split a lot panty hoses in my coog brethren who believe Belk walks on water …

I suspect Belk will become a HC someday … he has the potential but as is my opinion … he is still a work in progress …

We don’t need longevity at UH. We need championships. That’s what we pay coaches for.

Serious question- How many championships has Gundy won?

1 Like

Yeah, over the past 10 or so years, West Virginia has become a tough place to win. In ‘21 they signed one recruit from their own state (I doubt there were more than a few others who signed FBS scholarships) as well as players from Sweden and Finland and a total of eight other states.

1 Like

If yes = job well done.

1 Like

Sweden and Finland … eh general … actually Norway is the better place to find top recruits … many moons ago I was at their independent day in Bergen and saw their HS players in the parade … they could have played for an NFL team they were so big … skinny but BIG …

You seem pretty sure. The only openings I would worry much about are Florida, LSU, and USC, and in each case the odds are good that a current head coach will be hired and bring along his staff.

1 Like

Well we signed an OL from England a year or two ago (not to mention one from Germany some 15 years ago), which may indicate that we haven’t been the easiest school to recruit to either.

If we are going to speculate on Coach Belk, then we should have a rumor about him getting a nice raise to stay here and help us build the program. In his interview this week with the media, he talked about the success of the team being based on the longevity of the coaches. He talked about what he wants to do. Doesn’t sound like a guy looking to leave.

9 Likes

The days of a UH coach doing well and everybody expecting him to leave and then talking about it MUST STOP. Belk et al have contracts that are pretty fat. Why wouldn’t they want to stay?

2 Likes

Scanning the big 12 teams that we should strive to be on par with, Their DC’s make in the 750,000 to 850, 000 range belk made 500k this year
Tech was spending about 3.3 million on asst pay but the new coach got a pool of 4.8 plus another amount over a million for the S &C staff. Our asst salary pool is around 3.4 I think . So to keep up with the Jones’ our asst pool needs a bump. When I win the lottery I’ll cover it plus a lot more but until then y’all gonna have to pitch in . :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

4 Likes

It really is what we need. I’m not a fan of continuity hires. I am a fan of continuity that is chiseled out of hard work and loyalty to the university.

If Dana spent 15 years here it would completely overhaul the program’s reputation and establish us as a national brand in the mold of the historical big time programs.

:-1::-1::-1: your friend is who we should listen to’ lol

West Virginia is just a bad job.

You can’t really win there. You can be above average type good but not dominant year in and year out.

Houston is now a much better P5 job!

We are basically a P5 now so it would have to be a blue blood type program or else it makes more sense for him to stay and learn as we enter the Big 12.

Of course , he deserves a raise if he is offered more to leave

WVU did well in the Big East but it seems the Big12 has not been their friend. Looking at their season records they have been mediocre at best other than Rodriquez and the Big East.

Looking at his record at WVU actually he did extremely well considering the talent pool he had to work with. Being here in top recruit region I expect he’ll do even better.

1 Like

“But unless a team makes a large enough offer, Aranda appears set to remain in Waco, according to Thamel’s report.”

LSU can make “a large enough” offer.
https://247sports.com/Article/Coach-Dave-Aranda-Baylor-reportedly-close-on-contract-extension-176222957/

1 Like

Yeah, “large enough” doesn’t mean much here.

2 Likes