DCTF Houston Predictions

Seeing as we lost to Tulsa and Tulane on the road last year, this needs to be a make up year. If Applewhite doesn’t win the division this year with the offensive coordinator change, Big Ed’s final season and the immediate help from some solid transfers, then Applewhite goes on the hot seat. The next season will be conference championship or bust.

Also if we lose to Arizona in front of a packed house on national television, it becomes win the division or bust in my opinion.

1 Like

Let’s drop the caveat of “a packed house.” It’s noon in early September. Ain’t gonna happen friend. I do concur with win the division or bust regardless of how we do against Arizona.

If we can’t pack a 40k stadium for a P5 school that has a head coach that screwed over UH and it’s fans in the not so distant past, because it’s a 11am game on a Saturday, all the talk about going to a P5 in the next decade needs to stop now.

You know how to handle Texas afternoon heat in September? Not sitting at the tailgate for 2 hours drinking 6 beers before the game. I get people being upset about an 11am game because it takes away from the tailgating but I will never accept it as an excuse to not go to the game at all.

6 Likes

It’s only a fools notion if one expects it instead of just hopes it. I always predict an undefeated season, and until our first loss that hope is still alive. Do I really expect it? Of course not; but, one day it may happen and I hope its while I’m still on the blue side of the grass. There is nothing wrong with unreasonable optimism or hope, if you will, anyone can be realistic or pessimistic.

1 Like

Not just that, but Arizona suppose to be pretty good this year and have a Heisman worthy quarterback. Now that Lamar Jackson has gone to the Nfl, he will be look at as the next dynamic dual-threat quarterback in college football. If it’s not sold out for that game, it will be disappointing and ashamed.

1 Like

it wont be packed. applewhite hasnt won over the fans yet like herman did. plus we arent ranked. that makes a difference as well. casual fans only care about the big college like Texas, OU, etc and they would show up to those games regardless of the record.

3 Likes

Predictions are tough to assess, but I believe we would have been better last season with Briles as the OC. Assuming we would have beaten UTSA, we would have finished 8-5. With Briles as the OC I believe we would have beaten Tulsa, Tulane and perhaps Memphis. We would have been more competitive in the Navy game. We turn an 8-5 season into an 11-2 season.

If we started this season coming from a 11-2 season, it changes everything…perception, recruiting, polls, confidence, ticket sales and expectations. We didn’t have Briles last season, but it goes to show how close we were to a better outcome if we had a better OC. We turn losses to Tulsa, Tulane, Memphis, and possibly Navy into wins.

We have as much talent this season as last year. We have better talent at the coaching position, talented transfers, more experience at the veteran positions and an easier schedule. With that said, I’m supremely confident that we will win a minimum 10-11 games during the regular schedule, win the division, and enter the AAC title game as the favorite. Win the AAC, we have a good chance at a prestigous bowl game. With focus, determination, no serious injuries, no canceled games, and some good luck, we could finish the football season with 12-13 wins.

No rose colored glasses or polly pot consumption, but a reasonable and achievable 2019-2020 football season outcome. We’ll soon see if the Briles effect will live up to expectations.

3 Likes

That’s a good point

If Arizona beats up on BYU and UH has what should be a 50-3 game against Rice, it’s not going to be a local story, it’s going to be a national story all week about Oliver vs Tate. Especially with Oliver’s domination of the last two Heisman winners he has faced.

The only thing that will be keeping us from a sellout is if the ticket office does one of it’s season ticket pushes by making Arizona only available through season tickets until 2 days before the game or charges $40 for the entire upper deck, including the corners.

We need someone to get into the ear of our ticket “guru” and explain that filling up every seat for a big televised game is more important than selling 50 extra season tickets or 1000 extra mini ticket plans.

2 Likes

While I believe we would have scored more than 17 vs Tulsa with Briles, we gave up 45 and lost by 28. We werent even competitive that game

Just checked on Arizona single game tickets on the web site. Section 329 is showing available @ $30 each.

The main thing for me was the corners. $20 seems much more reasonable than last year.

Actually we went up 10-0 and dominated the first quarter and half that game…our offense turnovers etc…led to most of their scoring opportunities.

2 Likes

10-7 (1st half) is not dominating a half. 38-7 (2nd half) is dominating a half

Right I said first quarter and half lol. It was quite reminiscent our game against SDSU.

His point was, even with our lack luster offense and a struggling QB, the only reason Tulsa went into the half with points is because of the INT that gave Tulsa a first and goal at the 1. The defense was dominating. To say otherwise is just being stubborn.

3 Likes

Turnovers let them back in to make some easy scores. We then gave up momentum and ultimately injuries up the middle let Tulsa run us out of the gym.

Always

Could be but some tough competition for the spotlight that week with Jimbo vs. Clemson later that day on ESPN. Having it aired on ABC will help with the promos the prior week during ESPN games but, even though it will beat any atmosphere from last season, I think it will fall short of a sell out because:

1. The UH season won’t seem “magical” yet to the people who only show up for games once it looks magical.
  2. We will not get the help of some cloud cover (obviously a guess at this point but it is Sep in Houston) and people can watch it on ABC at home and also watch UCLA vs. OU on Fox at noon.
  3. The local news outlets will spend more time on Jimbo’s “official” debut against Clemson (even though they play a directional school the prior week) than the return of Summie.

However, I think the student section will be rocking. It’s early in the season and the excitement should be there.

1 Like

Again, in a city of 3+million, if over 99% isn’t interested in going to a game against a PAC12 team, and one of the excuses is because Texas A&M has a game on TV 3 hours after the Houston game ends, we need to agree to the AAC conference buyout deal to negotiate a new TV deal because we aren’t going anywhere.

2 Likes