Debunking Major's Claims About 3-Man Rush

The delayed blitz is bizarre. Can anyone remember it working or resulting in a sack ONE time? I can’t. All it ever seems is you see a guy running in really late and not effecting anything, being 5-7 yards away from the QB as he throws it.

3 Likes

I also don’t know why you throw-out the Orlando blitz playbook. Orlando’s defenses are not perfect but man are they creative and at times crushing - Just ask Oklahoma, Louisville and Florida State.

But by all means, let’s get rid of that and bring in a blitz that takes 35 seconds to execute.

9 Likes

I understand the delay blitz against Tech. Reason behind it is to throw off the QB’s reads. If we dont show blitz pre snap, QB has to start adjusting for the next window, as the play progress more and more openings begin to shut down and the delayed blitz in theory should come down to apply unexpected pressure that results in a bad pass. But our blitzers weren’t getting out of their zone coverage fast enough or weren’t comfortable coming down on the QB. This is why the delayed blitz looked like a horrible idea.

1 Like

Re-watching the Louisville 2016 game, Orlando had some amazing blitzes. Amazing ways to hide them but the biggest thing to his scheme was that UH had some amazing players on that defense. Especially at the linebacker position, UH had some studs that caused a lot of pressure.

5 Likes

What all this tells is that we have an incompetent DC. Pure and simple.
And to top it off, we signed him for freaking 3 years???

5 Likes

He and the whole staff got a huge gift from us for sure.

1 Like

Of the FBS teams, Purdue scored 37 in a 40-37 loss to Missouri. Rhode Island (FCS) scored 49 in a 56-49 loss to UCONN.

Other teams that gave up 63 or more points:

Kent State in 63-10 loss to Penn St.
Delaware St (FCS) in 68-0 loss to W Michigan
Alabama A&M in 63-7 loss to Ciny
UMass in 63-24 loss to FIU
Tenn Tech (FCS) in 73-12 loss to Utah St

This doesn’t add any new content to this discussion, but just want to contrast our bend but don’t break style to something awesome.

3 Likes

Good question to ask considering that we eliminated other candidates because we weren’t crazy about their coordinator choices (allegedly).

4 Likes

OK - I’ll add something substantive…

Look at the 1:04 mark of the video. If you want to make the QB guess who’s rushing, that’s a good way to do it.

3 Likes

Very awesome and very sad to see. If we could only have that defense right now with this offense, there is absolutely no question we would be undefeated right now and for the rest of the year barring any major injury.

2 Likes

Awesome video but keep in mind we had better DB’s involved and our Defensive Line is manhandling the Louisville Offensive line. Having that ability makes it much easier to mix up your defensive schemes and give the appearance that the blitz is really working.

Why not just make a post showing the delayed blitzes don’t affect the plays? Not sure why you make a big deal about a number Applewhite threw out, trying to make him look like a liar by not being honest yourself and leaving out delayed blitzes. Sure doesn’t take deception to make the defense look bad.

2 Likes

And absolutely NO charisma. Kliff Kingsbury was on fire on the sideline with enthusiasm and energy. Major looks like a mannequin.

2 Likes

actually based on the numbers, it didn’t really matter much if we blitzed 3,4,5 or 6.
we gave up TDs at a slightly slower rate blitzing more than 3
11.7 avg plays vs 9.
the blitzing needs to be disguised and ed needs to be moved at the last second to catch the oline off guard.

it would be interesting to breakdown 4 rushers vs 5 in the stats.

the real question is will this crew learn from their mistakes

1 Like

No they won’t, they haven’t yet.

Side note, I keep seeing this notion that bringing 4 is a blitz. When did this happen? I’ve always been of the opinion that 4 is the standard anything more is a blitz anything less is prevent/shell.

4 Likes

This.

Well in that case, let’s have someone count how many times we brought 4 or less against Memphis and SMU in 2016.

Enough with comparing our worst game defensively with the best defensive efforts in 2016. People seem to forget that our defense was more effective against Tech in 2017. In fact our defense had 7 more hurries against Arizona this year than in 2017.

Is it quite possible the biggest factor for our quality of defensive play could actually be playing at home?

Those studs were well coached.

We beat Tech in 2017 ???

What Tech are we talking about ?