Deploy Ballistic-Missile Submarines Against Putin: Ex-National Security Advisor

He wants to play a nuclear game of chicken. :grimacing:

I can tell ya this much. Iā€™d have all of them ready to retaliate in the event of a strike, given Putinā€™s rhetoric.

Not saying Putin will follow throw by any means (MAD tends to prevent that), but you always need to have a contingency plan.

1 Like

Do any of you think we are not ready top retaliate?
At least I am assuming that we are ready.
Anybody, anybody against SDI is playing in the hands of despots, dictators and this current situation. More possible conflicts? = more arms deals profiting arms dealers.

So Iā€™m not anti-counter moves/escalations by any stretch I just believe that there has to be a clear objective. And this doesnā€™t have that to me. If this was done the weeks ago, maybe, but now a big public deployment makes no sense. You want to tell the boomers to steam towards their designated strike locations itā€™s reasonable. But I donā€™t think itā€™s some magic intimidation move line Kellogg implies.

A more fun move would be to start dropping off crates of weapons and ammo close to coastal population centers in Russia for ā€œthe resistanceā€ If it actually gets to resistance factionsā€¦ Great. But the main goal there would be to get Moscow to get more jumpy about internal problems and maybe take their eye off the ball.

Donā€™t know whether we are or are not ready to retaliate against any nuclear strike, but as I said, we need to be ready, so I canā€™t say that this guyā€™s suggestion is a bad idea in that regard.

1 Like

Iā€™m glad heā€™s not part of our national security team. Maybe others like him in the chain just canā€™t speak up like him because their part of the admin. I donā€™t think we need to ratchet up the heat. Itā€™s dangerous. I get his thinking otherwords Mr Putin your are not the only one who has a big stick. That is nuclear gamemanship with the fate of the world. People need to understand you pull the trigger thereā€™s no going back humpty dumpty is broken for a long long time. I donā€™t like it.

1 Like

Iā€™m kinda shocked to hear we only have 5 or 6 deployed at anyone time. From what I read we have a fleet of 14 Ohio class submarines. He is saying we have less than half deployed at anytime ! His title as
general , does that imply he is an army guy and not a Navy man. But it seems like bad idea to ratchet up
the ultimate conflict.

When your only tool is a hammer

1 on station - 1 going - 1 coming - 1 in maint cycle - 1 in refit/yard

1 Like

Ahhh, that makes sense now with your explanation !
So that gets to 6 deployed in mission and 5 or so more in different stages of transitioning.

same reason we have 12 carriers & LHA/Dā€™s thatā€™s bare minimum to maintain on on station in the Pac/Atl