D'Eriq King

Too bad the heisman is a power 5 award. If it was actually unbiased then Dk would definitely be a finalist. He’s so clutch. An offensive juggernaut.

Great pic of the hurdle in this tweet.

https://twitter.com/UHCougarFB/status/1058053557067243520

3 Likes

He is on the front page of CNN.com. very cool!

2 Likes

Wow sweet. Not fake news for once!

There have been some threads debating whether King is better than Ward. They both have their unique skill sets and a valid argument can be made either way. I will say that there have only been 3 QBs in the last decade that, if we had the ball down 5 with less than 2 minutes to go and 75 yards to drive for a TD, I would feel really confident about our chances of pulling off the win, and those 3 QBs are in this order:

1. Case Keenum
  2. D’Eriq King
  3. Greg Ward, Jr.

I put King above Ward mostly because of the weapons at King’s disposal. After Ayers left, Ward didn’t have many deep threat options. But he also didn’t have nearly as strong of an arm as King, and nowhere near the accuracy downfield so I’m not sure it would have mattered. Case was as calm under pressure as any QB I have ever seen. There’s not a single obstacle he doesn’t have the confidence to overcome (see Vikings v Saints last year). I think King has that ability to as well and similar weapons compared to what Case had. King is a pure joy to watch and I’m so happy we have him for another year after this one.

2 Likes

If King keeps doing what he’s doing now through his senior year we are going to win a lot more games. If his career includes a ny6 bowl win, he passes Case to me. Lot of ifs there.

1 Like

NY6 is more telling of where we are as a program, not a reflection on the QB. If you want to best Case, you better break some records, because he has them all.

5 Likes

On the front page of CNN today:

That is not fair to Case. If Scumlin wasn’t interviewing with A&M the week of the conference championship game we would have won. Also we would of went to the Sugar bowl and had a good chance at beating Michigan. So far Case also notched bigger victories against what is now P5 programs.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/KegsnEggs/status/1058003845811449862

6 Likes

Thanks Captain Obvious !!!

Agreed!

https://twitter.com/PFF_College/status/1058082001494917120

1 Like

T. Williams and Mulbah Car deserve some credit for lead blocking for King so well these last few weeks. Check out King’s other TD run besides the miracle one. We know he can run angry but Williams was blocking angry on that play. No one from USF wanted a piece of him.

GW2 didn’t have a lead blocker at RB as much, it was more McCloskey who was so good at lead blocking he ended up in the NFL as a FB for 2 seconds. Having capable lead blockers at RB just makes our offense that much more dangerous. Kudos to these guys for making an impact without the rock in their hands. Mulbah has had some good pass protection blocks as well.

7 Likes

Exactly! Those guys are wiping out whomever they block.

Terrible play calling and poor QB performance against SMU. Many of oue short passes were poorly thrown, and the run game was even worse.

SMU took out the long ball, which is the strength of D’Eriq King.

If he can’t complete short passes then he is not one of the best Qbs in school history.

1 Like

Started the game with Stevenson’s drop. A couple bad passes were because defenders jumped into the passing lane and the passes were throwaways. Couple bad throws as well.

That said, Briles did nothing to allow him to get warm 10 attempts per half by one of the best qb in the country is sheer stupidity.

Underneath and short crossing routes were open and smu was giving it up.

Give King the ball and let him do Kibg things.

8 Likes

Better than Case? Sumlin caused controversy in the height of a championship game and left for A&M. I doubt we see anyone do what Case did anytime soon. King is good but I don’t rank him better than Greg Ward Jr.

1 Like