Divisions are gone starting next season

The FBS rules state that a conference without divisions has to play a round robin schedule in order to have a conference championship game. Big 12 plays round robin.

1 Like

Each conference has a different interest here, and most of them are in our favor:

ACC: IN FAVOR - Divisions don’t make sense for them and they will probably want to keep that door open.

Big Ten: IN FAVOR - They are looking at doing the same thing.

Big 12: AGAINST - They would probably want us to water down a team.

Pac-12: DOESN’T CARE

SEC: DOESN’T CARE

Mountain West: AGAINST - They’d probably like to see us watered down and it’s not likely we can take one of their teams.

Conference USA: IN FAVOR - They don’t want us to have to take one of their teams

MAC: IN FAVOR - Same

Sun Belt: IN FAVOR - Instability doesn’t help them.

So it’s five conferences on our side (six including ours), two against, and two that have no vested interest.

1 Like

Can we kick out Tulsa and go down to 10 teams like the Big 12 too? Please?

1 Like

HCNY - AGAINST

Before you had playoffs. You had things like this:

And I believe this was put in just for the big12 in the last few years !!

They want to adopt the Big10’s model back when they had 11 teams: two permanent conf opponents, six rotating conf opponents, and four OOCs.

2 Likes

Except the BIG didn’t have a championship game then.

As the AAC moves forward with scheduling, Aresco said the league will look to establish permanent opponents that meet each year. A source told the Houston Chronicle that SMU and Memphis are considered the likely permanent opponents for UH.

2 Likes

The key here is preserving what semblence of brand strength we have. Every school out there sans BYU, Air Force or Boise will dilute this conference and will undermine the fragile but real brand quality that’s been constructed.

I support this 100%.

1 Like

I didn’t say they did.

Would like to see what this conference looks like with Army, Air Force, BYU, Boise and maybe Colorado St or UNLV. There’s a lot of TV sets there with the Academies and BYU.

I’d like 3 permanent opponents - add Tulane to SMU & Memphis.

2 Likes

You dream in great detail.:sunglasses:

1 Like

Instead of permanent opponents they should ensure the top teams play each other every year to help the top of the league’s strength of schedule.

1 Like

That’s anyone but Navy so I’m happy. OTH, Navy is not going to be happy if they get paired with 2 eastern teams like ECU and Temple.

2 Likes

Navy can still come to Texas every year by playing UH or SMU each season or in some years they may play both Texas teams.

Navy could get some nice crowds to those away games. (besides the Navy veterans/family of veterans/fans of Navy football who travel well)

Philly
Army v Navy game in Philly 29 times since 1980. (88 games total) They have a following.

ECU
Easy drive from the massive Marine population at Camp Lejeune. (Jacksonville, NC)
Easy drive from the massive Navy population around Virginia Beach.

If I’m Temple & ECU. I want NAVY as my 1st choice.

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind if they rotate the “permanent” rivals. Pair up one “natural” rival and then use the other one to match up the best teams. Might be what they’re thinking since it looks like we’ll get Memphis instead of Tulsa or Tulane.

Should match up UCF and Cincy as well.

1 Like

I was thinking about this yesterday and I actually figured it might be Memphis. I’m a little more surprised by SMU despite being in-state just because I figured they might be put in with Tulane and Tulsa as the private three muskateers. I figured the second would either be Cincinnati or Navy.

1 Like

Why bother with permanent rivals? We should just use strength of schedule

Finish last and you play the 8 teams ahead of you. Finish first and you play the 8 teams behind you. Done.

Then the “rivalry” takes care of itself.

2 Likes