Don't look now, but the B1G commissioner reportedly prefers a spring football season

Given that the Big Ten had already gone to a conference-only schedule, moving to a spring season won’t impact anyone else. The only thing the Big Ten would have to give up is Bowl Season and the Playoffs. To be fair, the Big Ten likely does make a lot of money from Bowl Season, so that is something meaningful that they’re giving up. But let’s face it – the Big Ten wasn’t going to win a national championship.

Heavens, so few people can think out of the box. Spring football is the answer. We are in a infectious pandemic. Try to play with 80+ young players ( not in a bubble ), and you will have multiple infections. From an economic standpoint, you have to operate with reduced ticket sales, reduced parking, reduced concessions, etc destroying your athletic budget. By January we will have a vaccine, making football possible. Patience Grosshopper, and learn to think outside the box.

2 Likes

How will hat impact the NFL draft?

I have felt all along the only way fall works is in the bubble. That consideration appears to have never been considered. The option was to delay month by month which is easier when doing a conference only schedule.

If you don’t do a bubble, the next safest option is the spring. I have always felt there would be a season because way too much money is involved and the financial future of college athletics are at risk.

From a risk management perspective the spring has always made the most sense, college football just didn’t understand it yet. We’re going to have 3 to 5 options on the vaccine front by Nov under Warp Speed with production availability in early 2021. The other impacts is that the fall 2021 season will start no earlier than Oct 1 and maybe as late as Nov 1 to allow time for the bodies to rest. Based upon what the NFL does with the season, which I hope goes forward this fall as a proving ground for the college game, some NFL draft prospects may skip their final college year and prepare for the NFL. We’ll see how it all works.

We may run our cups over with sports come this spring between football, basketball, baseball starting again, hockey, etc. on both the professional and college levels. That is OK after this dreaded virus.

1 Like

It depends when the NFL season occurs. If this fall through early Feb with the SB, a spring college season may steal many players early with skipping their final year. We’ll see the depth across teams if that happens. If the NFL goes to spring, then everything will align again but with being moved back a few months.

1 Like

So which parking lots are for football and which for basketball on a given spring saturday?

Guessing they cancel all tailgating activities if they have to clear lots between games fast. That is unless all basketball and baseball ticket holders also have football tickets.

Does ESPN show football or basketball?

Which game do you attend?

Haven’t even added in baseball parking or attendance?

Who actually thinks the TV stations will pay the same for sports bumped to ESPN 29 when there are only a limited number of viewers per school.

Who works which games? staffing for football and basketball on the same day requires a lot more hired people.

Not saying you can’t have spring football, but there are a lot of concessions that have to be made. It is not just a big win situation.

Oh yeah, NFL draft with players signing agents, but they may be able to postpone that little event. Very possible. Though star players may not want to risk injury right before the combine and draft as has been exhibited in many bowl games.

Oh yeah, what if a vaccine is not approved by then…

Weren’t you saying we would have at least 50% in the stands 2 months ago? Or even 100%?

You would have 4+ months to answer all these questions as opposed to less than 4 weeks to answer the many times more questions about a fall season. I have been shocked that things are still rolling forward with the fall season. College football needs fans to survive and it is way more likely that in Jan-April it will be safer and higher capacity will be allowed.

I actually think it is less likely. Peak flu season.

They had four months to figure out the fall.
I don’t think there are suitable answers for some of the questions. That is why I posted, for others to provide some legitimate options.
All the fall questions will also apply to the spring so it is not making it simpler just pushing it back.

The more time, the more you learn. In April no body was working hard on how to make college football work in the fall, they didn’t know what would happen the next week. It wasn’t until the big spikes in July that they really started working hard realizing that the virus will still be very prevalent Sept-Dec. UH already went from planning 50% capacity to 25%. A major difference of waiting is you get to see how a semester goes with outbreaks on campus. The vaccine is the big reason waiting would make sense. The hope that the US can get the virus under control is another. If I am an AD, I would be pushing hard for the spring.

I think moving to the spring is the best shot at a season. I don’t think it will happen then either. I think we will be kicking the can down the road hoping for a miracle.

3 Likes

I agree. Now, I’m hoping my prediction of our AD going under does not come to fruition.

We don’t know that. And how long a successful vaccine may take to be administered, plus time to produce antibodies in those vaccinated. Many will choose to not be vaccinated. Many. I had somebody tell me they think a chip is in the vaccine to track them. Today. Let’s hope for the best and that we could play in the Spring.

2 Likes

Fair enough,

How then would you handle parking on a Saturday with both a basketball game and a football game?

As AD, how would you negotiate which game is removed from TV (or changed) and what expectations would you have for the TV contract to be adjusted?

I don’t have good answers, so curious as to suggestions.

You"re worried about parking?

1 Like

I don’t know about UH, but there are a lot of people that pay $1000s for parking permits to games.

Yes, any good program needs to worry about all the logistics of having a game. That include parking. How much to boosters pay for a parking spot in the stadium garage for their football tickets. How much do they pay for basketball games? Now what happens when there are not enough spots because both the football and basketball people want their spots.

More weekday/Sunday games for basketball or football?

Also, my guess is you will be looking at significantly reduced capacity for both sports so it probably won’t matter.

It’s gonna happen. Pros or bust for pretty much every sport at this point.

3 Likes

Doesn’t look good…hopefully some real planning can take place to attempt a season in the spring.