Doug Belk on Saban’s short list

That’s the most idiotic take I have seen on this board ever.

The connotation that Belk needs some kind of “master” reveals yet another level of ignorance.

4 Likes

There was an article before the season started where Belk clearly states he didn’t like working in environments where the hours were insane and winning became no fun. Not sure if he would put those comments aside if Saban came knocking on his door.

2 Likes

Talent level different at Bama.

Lots of people need demanding bosses to get the best out of them. Others are better when left on their own. I have seen both. Not an unusual situation.

3 Likes

Where the hell did he say “master”?

Get out with crap…. Disagree with his post if you want but don’t do that… don’t race bait like a punk…. There was NO connotation…… you did that on your own.

Have you ever coached? Peewee doesn’t count.

If you had you would know there are some coaches that don’t put in the time….other priorities.
But those that don’t never last.

There comes a point where the more hours you put in the less efficient you become. I used to work with overtime hounds that worked 60 and 70 hours a week; but they didn’t get anymore done than others who worked 40 to 50. When you are sleep deprived you aren’t as productive or sharp. It also has a detrimental effect on your family.

5 Likes

Right. It’s marginal benefit vs marginal cost. I was a process operator for 13 years at a major petrochemical company. I worked 800-1000 hours of overtime from 2015-2020. The money was insane, but the quality of life and my effectiveness was poor.

I get what y’all are saying but I don’t think it translates to coaching like that. You can’t go into coaching college sports expecting to work only 40 to 50 hrs a week. I don’t even think you can expect that at the Jr. High level. Maybe the concept translates, but higher baseline.

1 Like

When I coached high school football it was under two different head coaches.

The first head coach I worked about 60 hours a week….sometimes a bit less.

The second head coach I worked for I worked every bit of 80 hours a week…I will admit that maybe the 70th-80th hour seemed redundant……but we did have more success and I never had a week where I felt the boys were not prepared……and I was doing it for pennies on the dollar compared to what college coaches are making today….this is why I have no patience for coaches that make 6 and 7 figures don’t put in the time….that’s just me.

I know others feel differently and that’s fine.

1 Like

This is why your comments about preparation and putting in the work and process resonate with me (and can’t be chalked up to Dana hate).

1 Like

Jim McElvain worked for Saban and told the TD Club this story.

Coach works lots of hours and, finally, on Christmas Eve he let us go at 5:30.

I hadn’t had time to buy my wife a Christmas present so I stopped at this store and got her a frozen margarita machine. Driving home I realized I didn’t have any ingredients so I went to the grocery store and bought margarita mix and some Hurricane punch mix. They had a deal on shrimp so I bought a shrimp tray.

Christmas morning I called my brother in Washington state. He said “you must have had quite night last night” No, it was quiet and early to bed. “According to the internet you were having a margarita party last night”

Turns out a Bama fan recognized him, followed him and wrote down everything he purchased and posted on the Bama fans site.

4 Likes

He gone yet?

1 Like

I bet nobody on their death bed has ever said they just wish they had spent more time at work. Coaches need to have a life , just like everyone else. Their families should be important to them; their children need them in their lives.

1 Like

Yes, I’ve heard that one many times and try to live by it for the most part, but I’m not a college football coach. If you’re going to become a successful college coach you gotta understand that you’re going to sacrifice a lot more than most people, at least for a time in your life.

I’m trying. My therapist says the ninth touchdown has created some kind of serotonin-inducing “do loop” in my subconscious. Hey man, I’m the victim here.

2 Likes