Drinking question

Yes, a blend designed for mixing. Had to be, created by an Italian

Famous Grouse is a very good blended at a budget price. Nice to have around for less discerning guests.

So, would J&B be the ULTIMATE drink for old ladies?

Never warmed up to Scotch.

My favs in order of preference….
Wine: The Prisoner / Unshackled
Bourbon Whiskey: Woodford Reserve
Tequila: Frozen Margaritas
Craft Beer

Highly recommend Ridge, Lytton Springs Zinfandel. Discovered the 1974 back in the late 70’s. It was expensive, $7.50. Now about $30. Just great example of great winemaking.

Ridge is my go to red wine

my mix is what i learned as a “dirty bird”, is a white russian with coke added. mixed right tastes like a frozen cappuccino

Goggled it. In stock at Total Wine in Friendswood. I’ll let you know once I’ve tried it.

I like mine to be 4-5 years old when I open it. Too many folks open red wine when it’s still grape juice.

Cabs, 7 - 10 years.

1 Like

As long as the grape juice has alcohol content, I can live with a younger vintage. :grinning:

I’m picky. I have vintages from the 80’s.

You don’t do yourself justice. You are a connoisseur.

I was the unofficial sommelier for the Shamrock. Member of Chaine des Rotisseurs in my younger days.

1 Like

Ridge is having free shipping today. Their 2020 Lytton Springs is rated 93-95 with a 10 year estimate on drinkability.

People are hitting the site hard. Sloooow

Ridge 2020 Lytton Springs.

Purchased it at Total Wine in the Galleria.

$48.70 including tax.

I wouldn’t open it for a minimum of 4 years.

Thank me later

I’m 45, and this just seems weird, if true.

How to Pronounce Lagavulin - YouTube

Four years? Chris, there is no guarantee any of us will still be alive in four years. Carpe Diem.

That said, I consumed it last night and it’s a very good red.

Not normally a Zinfandel fan, but that brand has caused me to expand my choices of red wine and add it to my favs, Cabernets and Red Blends.

Thanks for the recommendation.

I’m a salesman, always optimistic.

Drinking a 2020 of that stature is a sin.

Had a friend who hated cab. I told him because he drank them too young. Pulled out a 7 year Napa cab and opened his eyes.

You want to drink young reds, just buy Georges DeBeouf Beaujolais.

1 Like

Question for me and others on the site who lack your wine knowledge and experience…

if 4 years is the minimum time for a wine to be properly aged, and the bottle label states the vintage is 2018 or earlier, then it’s ready to be consumed to enjoy it’s full flavor potential?

Also, is a 4 year wait time true for white wines, such as chardonnay and sauvignon blanc, etc.?

At the risk of sounding redundant, what should a consumer look for on the bottle label in regards to date of vintage?

Thanks

Clarets, Burgundys, Riojas are long lasting wines. Some South American wines are done in the true Spanish style which will allow them to age quite a while. I rarely drink a Cab that is less than 7 years old. Only a cheap cab that was recommended to me will I drink young. I hate seeing the purple color in a red wine, too young

Zinfandels from Ridge are a strong claret style which I will wait 7 years.

Whites and Roses are to be drunk immediately. Some chardonnays may improve with a year or two, most don’t. I rarely drink white wines, too acidic. I drink Rose exclusively from Easter to the first blue norther, then I drink red.

One great hack, cheap champagne like Korbel, buy it this year, store for a year and then drink. It does seem to get better.

1 Like