Eight Scholarships Left?

I do not know anything about football recruiting. But I do have a lot of experience with employees, especially those who lack a bias for action and are blasé about their work. When I read there are eight scholarship spots left after signing day and the coach says they will fill them in the summer with jucos and whoever is left, am I wrong to be concerned?

2 Likes

I don’t think so. That “fill them later” answer smells like BS to me.

1 Like

It all depends. Do you want quality or just quantity. CDH could have easily filled all of the spots if that’s all he was after. However, he is looking for people that will actually fit and produce – two very important aspects one looks for in recruiting. In the past, we’ve had a lot of quantity just to fill numbers.

I remember a class Dimmel signed that had several recruit with higher ratings we were used to then. However, when fall practice arrived several weren’t there because they didn’t qualify academically. Several others were gone by the next season. But hey, he filled his class and signed some guys that looked good on film in HS.

1 Like

Northern, we signed 20 as of today,and i think that leaves only 3 or 4 left, which we will use to find a good transfer QB, an OL and another WR…
dont be concerned…This is a good class and the transfers are outstanding…

3 Likes

Monte to follow up, we actually only had 23 total to give this cycle. We filled 20 which leaves 3 available unless he has had another yet to be announced.

1 Like

Man we need a QB

1 Like

I’ve heard rumors of this thing called the Transfer Portal.
Folks say it is changing the whole recruiting season.
We should take a look and see if it will work for us.

3 Likes

Could be fake news but this site says we have 6 scholarships left:

I admit it is a bit confusing and hard to keep up with and I cannot guarantee I am reading it correctly.

Here is the complete list of signees for 2020.

1 Like

I’m glad to see this. Thank you.

BS?
We have what we need for next year’s team. We can wait and not reach.
The class we have signed I feel our staff has done an amazing job.

2 Likes

Mike, i have heard CDH wants to wait till after spring practices are over, as he thinks some really talented QBs could decide to put themselves out there in transfer portal after their spring practices…I am sure we will get 2 or 3 more kids who will help us a lot…VERY happy with how this staff handled recruiting…I think we are going to have a major upturn next season.

3 Likes

We attract a much higher caliber athlete via transfer. It’s as simple as that.

4 Likes

Getting a grad transfer for QB would be difficult because they would know that Tune is pretty much entrenched at QB and they would have to show real dominance in camp. Most QB’s transferring, especially grad transfers, are doing so because they aren’t starters where they are, and let’s face it, the Burrows, Hurts, Murrays, etc. aren’t coming here, they are going to P5 powers. So, we would probably get someone who couldn’t start elsewhere and aren’t top QB types. Our only guy that fit the Top QB mold only started a couple of games here, though he is starting for the Panthers in the NFL.

That leaves us to see what kind of underclassman we could get and frankly, I think the pickings are slim, though you say CDH thinks otherwise. So, all that said, I really don’t know what CDH is going to do or who he may be focusing on. I guess I will just wait and see; but I really believe Tune is our QB this fall and next fall as well – and that he will make us proud!

3 Likes

…and let’s face it, the Burrows, Hurts, Murrays, Kings, etc. aren’t coming here…

Sorry… just had to add that

1 Like

I am curious to see if the Indiana QB shows an interest, thinking he can win the job…
watching him last year, he is a very talented player…but my money is on the Arizona State kid…I think he comes home and plays for us…

1 Like

You’re thinking Dillon-Sterling then? Would be a nice addition to have him sitting one and coming in to compete the next year.

I think that QB Dillon Sterling Cole would be a grad transfer with only 1 year left (this season) to play.

Sukie, King is LEAVING here, because he couldnt get the job done in CDH’s offense last year and BAILED on the program…
Add THAT, too…

2 Likes

I could be wrong but 24/7’s portal isn’t showing him as a grad transfer with immediate eligibility.

Dillon came out of HS with Ed Oliver in 2015, so after 4 full years at ASU (based on having 5 years to play 4) his college eligibility will end with the 2020 season - unless he could somehow get a 6th year.

My thought is that he may need to complete his degree at ASU this spring in order to be eligible to play at UH or elsewhere (as a graduate) this upcoming season - unless he can get a waiver.