ESPN's Jake Trotter on Big 12 expansion

eh …

They are both stuck in the middle of two P5s … SEC and ACC (and a few G5s in the neighborhood) … and neither P5s wants them or their packaged deal … the Big12 just abandoned them … the B1G ignores them and the Pac12 in a galaxy far far away doesn’t even know they exist.

Its like their being stuck in the middle of the Pacific in a lifeboat and they are calling their lifeboat Purgatory and they’re waving katanas and knives around loosely …

I believe they have just established a new definition for brainlessness.

1 Like

Misery loves company and the scorned USF blog site is doing its best to make sure UCF doesn’t go anywhere without USF. Like Pawrful Davy wrote, both are going nowhere together, fast.

Heck, UH may not be going anywhere either, but I’m sure glad UH doesn’t have a scorned partner like UCF seems to have . . .yikes.

Info is drying up and articles are starting to get repetitive even though there are a lot out there, trying to find those off the beaten path a bit:

Monson: BYU’s lack of commitment to football shows in Sitake’s salary

When Edwards was asked a few years ago by Tribune writer Jay Drew about BYU’s limited pay, he said: “That’s a very personal thing. The university is what it is. If you are a coach and the pay scale here is one of your [main] concerns, then maybe it isn’t right [for you]. I don’t really have any comment further, except to say [BYU’s salary structure] is different, no question.”

Added Tom Holmoe: “We do things very uniquely around here.”

Which is to say, they do it on the cheap.

Add this 2 your follows. Tons on realignment.

Oh I completely agree with you, just saying that in a perfect world situation…Of course in a perfect world TU wouldn’t be how it was toward us and we would have never been left out of the Big 12 in the first place etc. etc. etc.

This one popped up on my radar; I’m posting it because it honestly made me laugh. Waco, man, Waco…

Brice Cherry: Big 12 expansion should think big, bold

Why not think bigger? Why not be the poachers rather than the poach-ees? A proactive approach to expansion – namely, targeting a couple of Power 5 institutions – could fortify the league in ways that fattening up on non-AQ teams never will.

The less imaginative will whine that it would take a miracle. Yeah … and? This is sports, where supernatural happenings are the norm. Expect the unexpected. Some two decades ago, many considered it miraculous that Baylor was invited to join the Big 12 in the first place.

BYU…a private religious school with long term success on the football field, terrific fan support and thier priorities in line with thier Christian mission and beliefs…are you paying attention Baylor?

I saw this as well…

When I saw the schools they should “get”, all I could think was that I guess the reporters up in Waco must be smoking some powerful stuff instead of investigating rapes.

Thanks for pray10 I think I lost 10 IQ points after reading that article. smh

1 Like

Less fantasy in a Harry Potter novel than that Brice Cherry Article.

1 Like

Shifting gears a bit, here’s a B1G related article with an interview with the Iowa President:

Iowa President on B1G expansion: ‘Always discussion’
Court cases could impact league membership

“I think we’re all trying to figure out what happens in the court system — and I think it’s headed the other way — but if the courts were to decide there had to be a payment process in place for athletes, then we’d have to back up,” Harreld said. “I think we’re totally committed to the notion of student-athletes and making sure that we preserve the amateurism of the sports. In that context, maybe, maybe, maybe we would have to think about expansion so we could just play among ourselves. Who knows? That’s a long, long way away and a lot of ifs. But there’s nothing active. We just have to make sure we have all of our options open.”

Big 12 Presidents were talkative today. Both the Iowa State and OK State presidents talked to the press:

Tulsa World - OSU Sports: Burns Hargis talks Big 12 championship game, expansion, walk-on transfer rule

Des Moines Register - Peterson: The case for re-seeding as Big 12’s football future

“I would be surprised,” Leath said, insinuating that 10 eventually could become 12 or even 14. “We’re looking into the future. There’s a lot going on. A lot could potentially change when these grants of rights expire in some conferences and things shift and TV contracts shift.

Joe Schad’s on our side:
https://twitter.com/schadjoe/status/743870427458637824

Uh huh … here we go again …

we do … we don’t … we will … we won’t …

Seems like just another day where the Big12 prez’s are …

:relaxed:

2 Likes

Expansion news is all about dead and most of what is coming out is from blog sites trying to get hits. However, there are those articles that trickle in like this one about ECU and how they feel about their lot in life. Also talks about their stadium renovation plans:

Compher: ECU committed to the American
http://www.reflector.com/ECU/2016/06/24/Compher-ECU-committed-to-the-American.html

“I think the best way to create opportunity is to perform at a high level,” Compher said, adding that East Carolina has momentum on its side right now. “We need to keep that momentum going, so the fact that we’re in conversations is fine. We appreciate that, and we certainly believe that we can play with the so-called Power Five.”

1 Like

BYU ready to join Power 5 conference, but won’t play Sundays

‘‘I really would love to see our football play at that level, be playing in a P5 conference,’’ Holmoe said. ‘‘I want our players … in all of our sports to be able to play at the highest level. I don’t know (if the policy is a deal-breaker). That’s up to the P5 conferences. But I do know that it’s something that we hold very sacred. We have never played on a Sunday and we’re not going to play on a Sunday.’’