Expansion...a matter of when

Or we can think of it this way. Stick with me…

Lets say the B1G 10 wants to buy a house in a very exclusive neighborhood (the state of Texas).

Sure, they can buy the most expensive house in the neighborhood (UT-Austin) for say a cost of 10x but the sellers are a big burnt orange pain to deal with but it would be a safe move.

The University of Houston is also in that exclusive neighborhood but it comes at a cost of 2x. Plus, there is plenty of room on the lot. With this house purchase, you can build an extension which will make this purchase very smart. (Im referring to the growth potential of UH as a total brand).

Either way, you OWN property in this very excludive desirable neighborhood (state of Texas). And public or not…realtors have been sniffing around the possibility of this listing (UH).

7 Likes

Plus UT comes with a load of mental illness that is very expensive to treat, especially when those afflicted are in denial.

4 Likes

I would still be fine with playing a Nebraska every year or some of the others teams in that conference as opposed to the AAC.

1 Like

Dont we need to be AAU? BIG is a dream dont hold your breaths. Itll only hurt more when we get rejected again.

It’s only about 25% about the quality of the football program. 50% is eyeballs on TVs and 25% is a mix of facilities, basketball success, travel ease, academics, etc. The entire state of Idaho only has 30% of the population of the greater Houston area. We are clearly ahead of Boise by a wide margin in every category besides football success, and not far behind there.

2 Likes

Well it will be ironic if after all those years of hard core full court pressing by our past ADs …

AND …

All it took was a UH medical school being built near our campus …

Just how many P5 schools or B1G schools for that matter have a medical school on or near their campus …

3 Likes

Boise State will be in a P5 conference the same day that bronze Cougar statue in front of TDECU comes to life and runs away.

3 Likes

Atleast 60 percent… Most of the bigger known schools have one… what would set us apart or not cause them to poach someone from another conference with a longer track run. (I really want to know not trying to nitpick). I’m proud of our programs but it would have to make sense. Maybe if we take a paycut the first years like WSU did with us.

Something to think about…

The B1G 10 could be floating our name out there to increase their leverage with UT-Austin.

We all should know ny now, how these games are played. We’ve been used as a pawn before.

Say they really want a Kansas+Oklahoma +Texas addition but Texas is asking for too much or is being difficult. They could be floating our name as their ‘Texas’ substitute if they don’t cooperate.

I still think the ACC is where we ultimately belong!

4 Likes

Hears to Texas not cooperating so we can go BIG!

1 Like

Who’s to say that the BIG doesn’t want to add 4 new teams in Kansas + OU + UT + UH to move it from 14 teams to 18 teams. Then the BIG southern/newbie division could be those 4 new teams plus Nebraska + Iowa (all contiguous states) plus maybe Maryland + Penn State + Rutgers.

1 Like

Sooooo many assumptions built into that scenario.

Didn’t Tillman allude to the fact that the other conferences are watching us when the whole Major thing went down? I think they know something we don’t and ole Flugaur is a few steps behind.

Regardless, we are on the national radar, whether its real smoke or just as conspiratorial bait for UT, so that is good

2 Likes

Can someone explain what he is saying here?

1 Like

Sounds to me like he’s saying that UH was beholden to UT (and OU) with regard to the Big 12 but we’ve moved beyond that now.

We should all hope that Tilman Fertitta and Renu Khator are successful in gathering the necessary power brokers/players in/for the City of Houston in order for UH to make a major move up into a P5 conference soon!

2 Likes

Thanks! I hope so too!

2 Likes

But why would we owe UT ot OU any debt or loyalty??? What has OU or Texas ever done for UH except kept us down???

1 Like

I think he meant UH was dependent on UT and OU to get into the Big 12, but that’s no longer the case as other P5 are interested in UH.

Great news if true, but let’s see. In the next 5 years all will be revealed.

2 Likes

that quote is from a B1G management person in their conference office. THAT alone makes it noteworthy.
It IS only a matter of when and where.

2 Likes

The Big 10 is at 14, they could go to 18, but likely 16 is the max. With 2 spots to fill, they are likely to make the expansion decision very strategically. The real risk for UH is if UT and OU decide to jump ship. Until the Big 12 GoR is extended, UT and OU can throw a monkey wrench in any plans involving UH, that any P5 may have. No way UT allows UH to trump it.

1 Like