For me the Kentucky game is for the icing

The 2018-2019 University of Houston Cougars are not going to show up in Kansas City and rest on their laurels. Make no mistake, our Coogs are going to Kansas City to win on Friday and Sunday. For those not in attendance at the BOK Center in Tulsa, OK, CKS, the coaching staff, and the players were laser focused on winning. The intensity of CKS was noticeable. His motor was running high, he was amped up a few notches from what you saw at the Fertitta Center during the regular season. He had our Coogs ready for the mission. WINNING! Against, tOSU, CKS, Kellan, Alvin Brooks, Quannas White, Alan Bishop (big dude), and on down the line, the coaching staff had our kids ready to play big time college basketball. Our big men were ready to bang with big #34. And, yes, Wesson was a big dude. Listing him at 270 lbs. must be last year’s roster. He is 300 lbs. of MAN. Our Coogs did not back down from anyone. Even a laid back, quiet kid like Chris Harris (one of the nicest kids you will ever meet), he was ready for a street fight against tOSU. He had no worries about banging inside. His confidence is soaring right now. Take all of that readiness for tOSU and amp it up a few notches for Kentucky. Our coaches and kids are going to Kansas City to win. They are not just happy to be there. I’m happy with the season and I’m not complaining, but this staff and team want more. It was intense in Tulsa!

Shout out to the UH fans in Tulsa. Nice numbers, intelligent fans…not too up or down with each possession, but when the W was in the bag, it got loud, “H-O-U-S-T-O-N” … “S-W-E-E-T 16” … “H-O-U-S-T-O-N”. Our coaches, kids, and the fans had some pride swell up when those chants started. At age 47, I can’t describe the pride I felt.

This is a special season…a special group of coaches and kids…love every minute of it!

Do you hear the late, great Antoine “Fats” Domino singing? “I’m going to Kansas City…Kansas City, here I come!” Show up Kentucky…we will be there and we will not be hard to find.

Go Coogs. Peace.

9 Likes

Before using this as your measuring stick on how this projects to Kentucky, some numbers to take into account. Iowa State was the best team Ohio State had beaten all season. Before that, they were 1-7 against the top 25 with a win over Cincy. Kentucky, on the other hand, already had wins over Tennessee and North Carolina before the tournament. In fact before beating Wolford, they were 8-4 against the top 25. Now 9-5.

I’m not saying to give up hope. Just want to point out, if we lose, it’s not because we didn’t play as hard as we did against OSU or that our coaches failed to prepare the team. It’s just, playing OSU is not in the same class as playing Kentucky.

Nothing wrong with a lot of optimism. As long as it doesn’t turn ugly on the coaches and players if they don’t meet those optimistic expectations.

1 Like

No icing here. We are the better team and need to go out there and step on their throats.

1 Like

Bring our A game. I will be happy with that.

2 Likes

For you guys worried about the length of UK guards, that is what game plans are for and why coach preaches spacing so much; 6’0” or 6’5”, it doesn’t matter when you have three feet of space when taking the shot.

1 Like

I watched the Kentucky-LSU game. It looked to me like Kentucky got tired.

I also don’t picture us just letting them walk through through the lane like LSU did.

They’re good but beatable.

Oh, and LSU won that game.

2 Likes

It does matter when defending the shot though.

1 Like

Good point.

I too am happy where we are right now but booooooyyyyy I would sure like this journey to continue just to see how well we do against the rest of the best. I will be disappointed in losing a close game because it will only make me wonder how well we would’ve done the game after, and after that. Hell i’ll be disappointed losing period. Proud but disappointed. Just don’t #&$^* lose!!! I’m going to be in full spas mode on Friday.

2 Likes

Before the season, I wondered who would step it up to fill the void Rob Gray left. I was worried that we may not be as good as last year’s team, but I did have hope because of Coach Sampson. We now know that my worries were for naught and I’m just enjoying the ride, whether it takes us to the top or we park along the way. How many thought in October that we would be be where we are today? Being honest, I didn’t. I have learned to not put limits on this bunch.

We may win, we may lose; at this point it’s a toss up for most every team still playing. But, hasn’t it been a fun season? I just think back to the last decades at the Hof and how dismal the games were and then think of how great it was at the Fertitta Center and just marvel at the changes brought about by the triumvirate of Dr. Khator, Tilman Fertitta, and Kelvin Sampson.

5 Likes

1000% agree with you RW…Every year I celebrate another birthday on this earth, I anticipate getting the whole cake, not just the icing…Coogs have to be focused on winning the entire cake now that they are at the party.

2 Likes

I dont feel this teams journey is ending this week, strap your seatbelts on, it will be a bumpy ride heading to the moon…

5 Likes

Well put @shaggylives, this has been a great season no matter what happens from here on out. I love this team.

5 Likes

There have been more talented ones at UH but none grittier. My benchmark for toughness has always been the 69-70 team, but this group is right there with them

2 Likes

Was that Dwight Davis, Poo Welch team ?

Yep, as well as Ollie Taylor

Jeff Hickman, who I still believe is the best long-range shooter we’ve ever had, was on that team. Melvin Bell was basically a shell of what he was before major knee injury but still competed hard and was as tough as they come. Tom Gribben was a senior that year, and of course the “legendary” Mars “The Planet” Evans

1 Like

Yes, can’t leave (leaper) him out. Brings back lot of memories how as a young kid I would listen to every Coog football/basketball game. #GoCoogs

UK is ripe for the pickings. With their top player probably out they still have an 8 man bench, but they rely on their starters a lot. We’re deeper. We need to do what we’ve done all season; swarm defensively and finish each possession with a rebound (or forced TO), get out on the break and hit 3’s. Wear them down. With their length we don’t want this a half court game.

1 Like