Friday Night Lights event at TDECU tonight?

I think he said Massoud threw one also

Told ya lol.

As I predicted defense is going to be nasty. Maybe not the best defense for Tune to practice against.

1 Like

How is the o line doing?

Good question. Is the offense able to run the ball? I’m curious how the Texas Tech RB transfer looks. As for the QB play, we don’t need to bash anyone. If things don’t work out it’s all on the HC. My opinion a while ago was to bring in another quarterback for competition. If anything, it gives us an insurance policy if the starter gets injured. Makes no sense to me, but whatever.

2 Likes

Overall, there were 6 interceptions thrown that I saw (as I said I missed the first 45 minutes)-3 by tune, 2 by massoud and 1 by kopp. Kopp didn’t throw as many passes as the other 2. I thought overall massoud looked a little better especially on his short passes (tune threw behind his receivers several times and massoud threaded the needle a couple times on nice completions.
It’s harder to assess the o-line. There were some nice running plays but the defense did have its share of runs stopped for no gain. Pass protection looked good at times but also allowed pressure some. The qb’s were protected so I wouldn’t attribute the interceptions to pressure.
I think overall the defense is going to be good this season but I’m definitely worried about the offense.

2 Likes

Awesome. I wonder if the play calling/scheme may be the issue on offense!

1 Like

Haha. Don’t get me going. I went on a rant last year about the offensive scheme and play calling. Fingers crossed we make huge strides on offense but these type of reports make me wonder how much improvement the offense will make next year. I know it’s only a scrimmage but still…

3 Likes

Maybe this is the best defense we’ll face!

1 Like

Facts.

Wouldn’t read too much on defense especially on run plays, they are familiar with offensive schemes. Guessing Dana can’t find a decent QB in the portal.

100%

I watched the same play and while the ball was already in the air, the WR just stopped his route – not slowed, stopped – on about the 15 yard line. The DB kept running and caught it in the end zone and ran it back 100 yards with no one pursuing him. A little context is in order.

Tune also threw a pick in the 2 minute drill forcing one into coverage over the middle. The next series with change at QB, Massoud did the exact same thing and was also picked.

Tune threw a couple of TD passes, one being a long beauty to the end zone. He also ran about 40 or 50 yards for a TD. He had a couple of really nice runs. Massoud had a couple of short runs as well.

Kopp only played a couple of series, that I watched, and looked fine. I feel that either Massoud or Kopp will be adequate back-ups should Tune get hurt.

6 Likes

So last year it was the offensive line’s fault but this year it’s the receivers fault; Got it!

2 Likes

On that particular play it would have helped if the WR did not stop for sure. I don’t know how else it could have been completed. Of course it could have been a mix up in signals because when he stopped he turned, like it was a button hook. As for the TD return, everyone on offense and defense stopped after the interception except the interceptor. Had that been a real game, I am pretty sure the offensive guys would have at least tried to stop him.

But, it doesn’t matter, you are set on wanting Tune to not have success and nothing will dissuade you from that course. In fact, I wonder if you really want UH to fail in general.

4 Likes

I don’t think Tune has the decision making & processing to win at UH. Have I’ve been proven wrong ? No.

3 Likes

I thought the interception in the end zone looked a little weird-there were 2 db’s in the end zone on no wr’s and red 80 is correct that the offensive guys didn’t put much effort into tackling him. However, his prior pick 6 was not the case-it was clear sailing into the end zone wot the db.
I hope tune does well but I thought he looked shaky at best in this scrimmage where the defense couldn’t lay a hand on him and I actually thought massoud looked a tad bit better while also making a few mistakes himself, most notably the 2 interceptions.

thanks for the update for those of us who couldnt be there…
any of the WRs stand out?

1 Like

Come on now Mike…your response is not fitting the narrative.

I didn’t really see any standouts on the WR’s, though Dell looked good. There seemed to be too many drops or non-catches on catchable passes thrown by both QB’s. This looked like a typical mid spring practice with nothing really catching my eye. However, I didn’t watch all of the plays and missed any previous pick 6. When the play is blown dead anytime the defenders were just close to the QB, it makes for an inaccurate assessment from the general spectators like me. Kopp has zip over the middle. Both Tune and Massoud had good moments and both had some bad decisions.

At this point, we can’t tell if the routes were run correctly or plays were blown. There were a couple of defensive players that caught my eye; Mutin, D’Anthony Jones, and Parrish in particular. I had no program and didn’t remember who was doing what in the secondary, but there were some good plays there as well.

The jury is still out on the OL and since the D practices against it everyday, it’s hard to determine if they just know the plays coming or if they are that good. But the D did look good.

Next two Fridays, all will have a chance to see and determine for themselves. One more thing about Kopp, he has a quick release, maybe the quickest of the 3 and what little play he had, he showed real promise.

5 Likes

People reading into a scrimmage against ourselves? :joy: Armchair coaches need to be stopped!

5 Likes