Fun fact: Over the last 20 seasons, every UH head coach except for Levine and Holgerson lead a ranked UH football team during their tenure

How exactly is this a ‘fun’ fact?

2 Likes

Fun fact: If you stand with one foot in a bucket of ice, and the other foot in a bucket of scalding hot water, you’ll feel just fine.

We weren’t ranked in the coaches’ poll at any point under Art either. We would have been ranked at 5-0 if Battle hadn’t fumbled inside the 10 and we’d put Miami away. Not trying to hate on Jackie, though, because he was a big part of what that team accomplished.

We also probably would have been ranked in the final poll if we’d beaten South Carolina.

2 Likes

I flew with the team to the Miami game and took my sons to the Liberty Bowl. i remember them well. Being a Coog and being involved can be very fulfilling (even when we lose) and I recommend it

3 Likes

I think Dana is trying hard to get the team playing like a ranked team. Its not easy.

1 Like

We were never ranked under briles…we were something like 26th and 27th in both polls after the conference championship won against southern miss.

1 Like

I went to the Liberty Bowl when we lost to Syracuse and again when we lost to South Carolina. We need to win some bowl games.

4 Likes

In the Briles’ era we were ecstatic to be “receiving votes”.

1 Like

So the Peach Bowl win really raised the expectations around Coogfans… I wonder if any of our Class of '23 Big XII companions have any of these unranked streaks.

I think it was actually the 2011 season that raised our expectations. Prior to that, I think we’d generally have considered 8-4 a pretty darn good season, but we got one undefeated regular season and decided that’s who we are now.

2 Likes

Thats not right at all… We finished no. 4 in USA in 76 after winning SWC and beating undefeated no. 4 Maryland in Cotton bowl… 78 team was 6 or 7 i think, and lost heartbreaker to notre Dame on last play of game…and the 79 team finished 11-1, no 3 in USA and beat Nebraska in Cotton… 76 and 79 SWC and Cotton champs were our highest ranked teams ever…

2 Likes

Sure, we had some good seasons in the swc but you need to look at the years before that.

We were ranked 1966-1974 as an independent. That is 9 years in a row.

1 Like

Our best ranks were in the SWC.

Perhaps best but not most. That was my original post, most times ranked

When were we ranked in 1972?

ok, 8 out of the 9 years. In 72 we went 6-4-1. My first year at UH Cullen College

Looking at the whole history…

We finished ranked 8 out of 26 seasons as an independent or 30.8% of the time.

In the SWC, it was 6 out of 20 for 30%.

So independent was barely better than SWC for % of seasons ranked. But average ranking was much higher in the SWC.

What I found interesting was to count our Coaches in the past 20 years.

We are on #7.

A new Coach every 3 years.

And then fans actually devote time to calculating why UH Football cannot get, and stay, ranked.

4 Likes

Hmmm…amazing what you can do when you manipulate data. All kinds of different things can be discerned.

For instance, we have only been ranked in either poll a total of 17 times. Of those, 8 were during non conference affiliation. That is a whopping 47%!!!

Your turn

I have mixed thoughts on that. Good coaches left. Assuming we tried our best to keep them, the school couldn’t keep that number down for those.

Then there are the bad/avaerage/long term unknown coaches. If we hadn’t fired them, the # of coaches would be lower, but does that mean we’d be more successful?
If we kept Levine, would we have had a top 10 team which made it possible for that coach to leave?
How long do you keep around coaches that appear average hoping that they eventually have a team that finishes ranked?