Fun fact: Over the last 20 seasons, every UH head coach except for Levine and Holgerson lead a ranked UH football team during their tenure

Herman had teams ranked 4 of his 5 years as head coach and he got fired.

Past or future performance is not a guarantee to keeping ones job

It always is the job of an A.D. and Administration to correctly identify and then hire a good Head Coach.

The Texas Tech A.D. hired, then fired, Kliff Kingsbury. Then he hired Wells,

He soon will be firing Wells. An “F” for the A.D.

UH identified, and hired, 3 good Head Coaches: Briles, Sumlin, and Herman. And could not keep them due to our Conference Affiliation, All 3 took a Big 12 job.

UH no longer suffers from the Conference problem. Thus we should expect our school to hit on a successful hire as before. Dana has already coached in The Big 12. And won there, And now has what he lacked at WVU
an unreal recruiting territory, The same one that Coach Yeoman used to great success,

I predict that UH will finish 2021 ranked. Literally I expect UH to run the table and meet Cincy for The AAC Title. Our talent, and coaching, look good enough.

I have seen this Defense before. Yep, Herman had one. But especially Yeoman and Pardee had this defense, And they won some games.

1 Like

Now THAT is manipulating data. I used a percentage which is a common statistical technique to offset unequal distributions and normalize the data. You used a statistic that should only be used for equal distributions.

If you would have stuck with our best run was as an independent, I can agree. But you also said conference affiliation is not our friend. With that statement, you have to consider the entire history.

And using your poor methodology, i’ll say we were best in the Gulf Coast Conference because we never had a losing season there. Now THAT’S twisiting statistics, but in the same way you are.

But I do have to admit I made an error in my math. I missed that we were independent in 1950. So it’s 8 of 27 for 29.6% so we finsihed ranked a highest percentage of time in the SWC.

1 Like

I spoke with Chris Pezman about this and other things on Thursday and you are obviously, correct.

Move the goal post anywhere you like.
Winning percentage as independent. 62.5%
Winning percentage in SWC. 51.3%

Ahh, those independent days were the best.

How many years were we independent again? I count 17 including the 1950 season. The problem with statistical analysis is you gotta get your data set accurate.

You are correct on seasons independent. My bad although i dont know i how i got so far off. To others on this board, see how easy it is to admit you’re wrong.

1 Like

nobody on this board has any problem admitting your wrong. Sorry, couldn’t resist the joke.

2 Likes

So you are now saying conference affiliation is not our friend? :slightly_smiling_face:

I was just having some fun with that statement I made but I do think it is interesting to note we had a good run as an independent. I also believe times have changed and unless you are ND a conference affiliation is a necessity.

In May, 1971, we were a highly successful Independent. We were Top 25 ranked for 5 consecutive seasons and had been #2 after beating Mich. St. in 1967.

When invited to The SWC we could not say “Yes” fast enough.

Same today. We said “Yes” to The Big 12 before they stopped talking.

Being in a Power Conference(The SWC was one) means everything.

Watch our recruiting take off, indeed, go National like never before.

3 Likes

I’m an LSU alumnus but grew up going to UH games as my dad worked there.

The football programs are similar in a lot of ways.

LSU is the only major program in a very talent-rich state, a (if not THE) top state to produce NFL talent per capita. UH is THE program for the Houston metro area, maybe the most talented HS football metro in the country.

LSU has won three national titles in 20 years with three coaches, two of whom were/are complete idiots. UH has re-emerged from the ashes, nearly crashed a BCS bowl lineup undefeated, and won a major bowl in the playoffs era with three different coaches—and with varying levels of financial/facility support.

Point is, there are inherent advantages for some programs, and LSU and UH are two of a very few. If you can find a competent, intelligent head coach and committed financial support, you can compete with the best of them.

6 Likes

Nice post, mzbor7
i like a perspective from a different school like LSU, that has similarities to us

“Point is, there are inherent advantages for some programs, and LSU and UH are two of a very few. If you can find a competent, intelligent head coach, you can compete with the best of them.”

Just said a mouth full

On the national mention in this thread my brother is a testament to that he came to UH on FB letter of intent 1970. We were living in Rome New York. Came here during the times of Robert Newhouse, Riley Odoms, Elmo Wright , Charlie Hall

People might think it’s pie in the sky, but I truly believe UH will win a NC in CFB. Just give us time.

2 Likes

Welp, this didn’t age well.

And to be correct, over the last TWENTY years Dimel never had us ranked. Neither did Briles (although we got some votes under Briles).

Our first ranking since the Jenkins/Klingler era came in 2009 under Sumlin, the week after we beat #5 Oklahoma State on the road.

5 Likes

Remember the bad snap when we were around the 5-10 yard line of South Carolina? At the end of that fiasco play Kolb just booted the ball into the stands to keep it away from SC resulting in a 15 yard penalty.

It’s funny now but wasn’t so funny then😎

Only 4 Houston teams have been ranked in the BCS/Playoff poll.

2009, 2011, 2015 and the 2016 team jumped in there a couple of weeks after beating Louisville.

It’s been five long years. Will we see Houston ranked tomorrow in the playoff poll?

4th and 50. Hard to forget. Lol

2 Likes

Actually, 4th and goal from the 50, arguably worse, I think. :thinking:

1 Like

It was. That game was a lot of fun even though we lost. The entire Liberty Bowl experience was fun. I really enjoyed Memphis.

4 Likes

UH is in a completely different situation than LSU. UH has always been in the shadow of UT and A&M. When I was at UH (78-83), stores in Houston sold UT and A&M shirts and hats, but not UH. UT and A&M have always had first choice of football recruits in the Houston area, and UH has had to make due with what they didn’t want. One of the reasons that Jack Pardee used the run and shoot offense in the late 80’s was because it used different athletes than what UT and A&M were recruiting

Yes, it was! After such a *loooong bowl drought, YES!

1 Like