Game 14: #3 Houston @ Tulsa - December 28th, 2022 (W 89-50)

https://twitter.com/UHCougarMBK/status/1605756530644729857?s=20

7 Likes

https://twitter.com/TylerRMuse/status/1605782018771406849?s=20

2 Likes

2 Likes

Last year Shead rolled his ankle early vs Tulsa

Had to play Kyler, Taze and Ramon all game

Won by 2

2 Likes

Coogs by 20.

2 Likes

Haith was coaching during that game. He’s been somewhat of a thorn in UH’s side for a few years at Tulsa. Now he’s gone, this might be a much more lopsided game, akin to what Jesse mentioned.

1 Like

Chances Francis starts in conference play? If Roberts isn’t shooting I don’t see why not start Francis

just about zero

3 Likes

Never say never

seems to me that even when coach increases playing times mid-season he does it without changing the starting 5 unless an injury is involved

5 Likes

More interesting to me than who starts is who gets the most minutes. Right now Jarace and Roberts are 23 mpg, Cheney and Francis are 12. Francis is trending towards being a 15 mpg guy, which likely comes from Cheneys time and to a lesser extent Roberts.

Normally, Coach Sampson only changes the starting lineup after a loss. Since he didn’t do that after the Bama loss, I think it’s unlikely he does that now.

1 Like

Anyone know where this game will be televised. On my ESPN app, it shows nothing, not even ESPN+.

Could it be that I will need to listen to this on the (gulp) radio??? What is this, the nineties?

1 Like

espnu

2 Likes

ESPNU for Tulsa.

4 Likes

If you guys look at your program cards they give out at the games, it shows who will televise each game. If you pull up the schedule on the UH athletic site, it also shows who will televise each game.

2022-23 Men’s Basketball Schedule - University of Houston Athletics (uhcougars.com)

3 Likes

pesik quick preview:
note this is not the tulsa of old… tulsa has given us issues in the past (as well as other top AAC teams) because they ran a unique zone under haith… haith is gone, so is that zone, they are a man to man D this year and not a very good one

quick summary: they are a bad team who is also a bad matchup for houston… what makes tulsa competitive is that they have 2 players that can the get flaming hot from 3, a starter in 6’3 sam griffin, and their 6th man in 6’1 brandon betson…when those 2 are hot they can go toe to toe with anyone in a shooting contest & both are great off the dribble … versus teams that arent terrible mid majors nothing else they do is a scoring threat (slow drivers who cant shoot, guys who only shoot open 3s, or 6’7 210 type post scorers)…
they’re a bad matchup for houston, in that their best chance at an upset is going up against a team thatll let them have a shootout and hope their 2 shooters stay hot… we aren’t that team and aren’t going to let a 6’3/6’1 shooter go off on us… they have no other advantage… we should kill them on the boards and their d isn’t very good… my prediction is it gets ugly for tulsa

9 Likes

Gonna depend on who we play. Currently. Francis seems to play 15-28 minutes against weaker foes, and 2-8 minutes against better foes. Coach is finding him PT when he can, developing his confidence.

Coach is going to lean on Chaney in the bigger games, at least for now. After all, Chaney started on a Final Four team. Chaney played 16-23 minutes vs. Kent St, Oregon, Alabama, St Marys and Virginia and less than 16 minutes against everybody else.

JWalker had his breakout game against UVA. I think he’s on his way. It looked like Arceneaux did at Oregon, but it may have been a head fake. We’ve yet to see Sharp or Francis have a big game in a big game. Once they do, look out!

1 Like

Will be driving down from Omaha for the game. Miss Universe and I celebrating our 10 year anniversary. Will have a romantic dinner on the 27th and the game on the 28th. We are sitting behind the visitor bench in section 106. Looking forward to the game.

11 Likes

https://twitter.com/jdm2186/status/1607435552466554880?s=46&t=hxzozgkar0RxYO3caBXpYQ

9 Likes