Game 19: #1 Houston @ Tulane - January 17th, 2023 (W 80-60)

I will give it that James can get his at times.
I actually really like our matchup with Shead on Cook.

Forbes is really the guy who makes them go and Cross is just a really solid player.

They still are not a deep team. 4 of their 5 starters are likely to play huge minutes.
For them they would like to spread the court, make threes and force us to go small because we have a huge advantage on the boards as long as two bigs are in the game. What really gives us an edge is having a 5 who can move with Cross and a versatile players like Jarace at the 4, much like having White last season.

3 Likes

Tramon on Forbes?

i think sasserā€¦ tramon on james, becuase james likes to exploit his size to post up smaller guardsā€¦ (how he got 30 on memphis- defended by 5ā€™10 lomax/davis)

the interesting will be cook on jamalā€¦ cook is honestly a better harris, and after that last game will be interesting if jamal is put on cook to start, and if coach keeps that matchup all gameā€¦
there could be a rotation of ā€“ cook/sasser, tramon/forbes, and jamal (who is strong)/ james

1 Like

i think the small rotation is a coaching style thing not a depth thing, they have a previous multi year starter on tulane (days) and 4star transfer (williams) who get no minutes that he feels comfortable playing that he doesnt play at allā€¦ he has played both 30+ mins this year when players were injured .his style is to play 7 or 8 no matter the situation. and to rely on the core

Well if they run a 4 guard lineup with an undersized big and come off the bench with 3 forwards I donā€™t care doesnā€™t play, that is a thin rotation.

Last game their bench produced 0 made shots and totaled 7 rebounds with three forwards off the bench.

1 Like

So, how do you think it shakes out on Tuesday?

that is being ultra specific to 1 game ā€¦ thats like smu saying not to be worried about jarace walker because he scored 2pts vs ucf (he scored 23 on smu)ā€¦ or ultra specific to this game, not noting Terrance because he had 0pts last game when imo Sampson has noted him as a zone buster (tulane is a zone)ā€¦

that ā€œbenchā€ includes collin hollaway who was a starter on goergetown last year doing 10per as an offensive PF, that ā€œbenchā€ include coleman who is probably their best shooter https://twitter.com/mikegrib8/status/1363848133751414787

i dont like the word ā€œthinā€ as it means if they lost a players to foul trouble theyd be in troubleā€¦ no they just use a bench playerā€¦ cook and 3 other players fouled out early in the memphis gameā€¦ and they still won

its their place and according to some Tulane fans it will be a sellout, so they have that edgeā€¦ but iā€™m thinking it will be a comfortable win

they are a deep offensive team (in amount of players that can score) but not that great of a offensive unit (working together)ā€¦ . and on a 1 on 1 basis I fell confident enough on every matchup, and even more confident we can switch up the rotation if the original matchups arenā€™t workingā€¦ so I feel we can slow down their strengthā€¦ i also feel Jamal will feel he has a statement to make defensively

i want to believe that we can do some damage on the boards aswell, this is one of the rare games we have a size advantage

the last question is that Tulane gives a ton of open 3s, if we can make them it will be comfortable winā€¦ ucf started 1-13 from 3, and still had a chance to win lateā€¦I want to say me make them and have a comfortable winā€¦

the potential for an upset is at the ft line, cook and Forbes are basically automatic if they go to the ft line ā€¦and our guys in foul trouble could have some issues sharp on cook would be disastrous, sharp on Forbes in a game he is on likely isnt desirableā€¦ and then the question is who guards cross if the bigs get in foul trouble with his perimeter skills at the 5ā€¦ so the whistle will be the x-factor

2 Likes

I think we have seen bigger and tougher environments.

2 Likes

I didnā€™t really need an easy response on the obvious, that I was referring to the most recent. Sorry but I am not about to get into a 10,000 word exchange over Tulane basketball. I have seen them a number of times and like our chances vs anyone left on our schedule. I like our chances Tuesday provided nothing too out of the ordinary occurs but they will give it their best.

2 Likes

Any word on how Jarace is feeling?

3 Likes

https://www.yogwf.com/viewtopic.php?t=57009&sid=b918fd352f8ab76e0eb4114561d0d220

Tulane home thread if anyone is interested

2 Likes

To be fair, referring to the last game is referring to one specific game and isnā€™t necessarily telling of the entire story.

I only saw one or two posts that discuss game strategy. It pretty much says what Pesik alludes to about their rebounding and defense being their weakness.

Until Hunter changes his philosophy, they will always matchup poorly against UH. They definitely can get hot one game and pull a win out but on average itā€™s a bad matchup.

A rested UH, with time to prepare and Tulane playing 3 games in 6 days isnā€™t ideal. Especially since the first 2 games were close.

2 Likes

But they are going to win because the football team won

4 Likes

I would really hate to lose to them in both football and basketball.

Losing to these guys is like losing to Rice. Just ickā€¦ :nauseated_face:

7 Likes

Lol I saw that and someone else threw out ā€œbecause f*ck Houstonā€ for no apparent reason. Just that they hate us.

I never have scanned the other AAC boards and their thoughts on the 3 schools leaving. Are they bitter and pissed itā€™s not them or do they hate us because theyā€™re next TV deal is going to worse?

2 Likes

curious about this as well.

surely with a weeks rest heā€™ll be good to go

6 Likes