Game Thread, Game 12: Tulsa at UH, Nov 26th, 630p, ESPNU

Go Tulane!!!

Go USF!!!

Go COOGS!!!

https://twitter.com/UHCougarFB/status/1595565652776976384?s=20&t=atu8GPgVxqB8hp6v4blN3g

7 Likes

9-4 here we go!

5 Likes

Someone might know better, but in the 100 point game, our kick off return guy (Paul Gibson maybe) returned the opening kick off 100 yards in something like 6 seconds. Coach went so deep into the bench that Larry Gatlin ended up scoring a TD (I believe) . . . . . I’m sure he used everyone except the seriously wounded . . . . .

Gipson scored on a running play early in the game and the Coogs never looked back.
Yeoman pulled the offensive starters late in the third quarter.
RCoogs scored on a 25 yard scoring pass from Clark to Larry Gatlin and I remember coach Yeoman was very irate on the sideline. He had plenty to say to both Rusty and Gatlin.
I believe it was singer Gatlin’s only TD in his UH career.
Late in the contest with UH up 93-7 Tulsa punted to Mike Simpson and while many on the sideline were telling him to take a knee, the speedy DB immediately weaved in and out of traffic and zipped the final score.
I was on the Coog sideline and watched as several Tulsa players walked off the field shooting the bird to the Coog bench and fans. And they were walking off the field before Simpson scored!
Very memorable game

The score at halftime of the 1968 Tulsa game was 24-6. Not a total blowout.

End of third quarter it was 51-6.

Coogs scored 49 in fourth quarter! Probably a school record for one quarter of scoring!

Larry Gatlin did catch a TD pass. Never got much playing time behind Elmo Wright.

Larry Gatlin always said Elmo Wright was first string running forward, second string running backward, and he (Gatlin) was third string.

3 Likes

A pal told me in Q4 the substitutions were crazy — kicker holding & holder kicking, etc.

The Gatlin score took us to 100.

No Simpson punt return and Liewekes kick got us to 100

I never knew that the points came so late

Yeoman should never have allowed the game to get out of control. The backlash from the media damaged our reputation as a program for years afterwards.

Do you ask your 3rd and 4th string players to lay down, or do you forfeit the game ? ? ? ? ?

I was outside, working on my car that day. I turned the radio on, UH scored on the opening kick off. Got involved with some vehicular problem, and just prior to the game wrapping up, I remembered and tuned back into the game. Heard the last score or two. Sure was sad I had to spend the day working so I could get to work the following Monday . . . . .

We were so harmed by the Tulsa game that,in 1969, Playboy picked us #1 in the Nation.

Then destroyed Auburn in the Bluebonnet Bowl game.

We were terrors back then🏈

1 Like

Not true. Yeoman played no starters in 49 point fourth quarter
He chewed Rusty Clark for throwing the td pass to Gatlin and the Tulsa players literally gave up, especially on that last punt return

1 Like

I’ll tell you what he should have done.

Gather the team together and tell them we are not going to humiliate the opponent. Yeoman could see that the score was getting out of hand midway through the 4th quarter.

Throw five yard routes. Over throw the receivers. Take a knee if needed. Take time off the clock. Punt the ball on 2nd or 3rd down. Once the game got to 80 points, call off the dogs.

Yes
you tell the reserves not to score.

You use the moment to teach the team the importance of sportsmanship. They didn’t have a mercy rule back then, but the NCAA should have implemented one.

Even in boxing and martial arts they have referees to stop the fight when the opponent is beaten.

I remember the national sports news backlash and it wasn’t pretty. We already had a reputation as an outlaw program and the outcome of that game didn’t help our image.

PS. We lost the next three games.

My wife and I attended the 1968 Tulsa game.

The comments about how this game harmed UH and enhanced our “Outlaw” image are just silly and devoid of reality.

Over the next 3 seasons we went 26-8, were on National TV several times, were in The Bluebonnet Bowl twice, and were invited to The SWC.

Some harm!

And in 1969, the year that UT won the National Title, The Houston Chronicle selected our OL Bill Bridges as the State of Texas College Player of the year. Not a Longhorn. A Houston Cougar.

In 1971 Robert Newhouse lead the Nation in rushing and went on to a long career with The Cowboys. Robert played in 3 Super Bowls.

We can only hope to again beat someone 100-6 and then have 3 seasons like 1969-1971.

10 Likes

https://twitter.com/uhcougarfb/status/1596292651627827205?s=61&t=AT36wPG6qXr-xvu6ABzwsQ

Also posted in the not about Dana thread.

2 Likes

Tucson
none of my posts equated harm in relation to performance. You either didn’t read my post or you decided to go off on a tangent.

The harm I was referring was to our national image and reputation. There was no harm to our performance as evidenced by the steamroller UH teams of the 60s, 70s and late 80s.

Your quote
“We can only hope to again beat someone 100-6.” Really?

Tell me
Do you think that Renu Khator would congratulate a UH HC for putting up 100 points on an opponent in this day and time when the outcome of the game was never in doubt? I don’t think so. JMO, she would be having a serious conversation with the AD, and the HC would be reprimanded.

She has higher ideals for UH. She lobbied hard to get us into the Big 12. She wants us in the AAU country club. She wouldn’t want a football game to tarnish the hard work she has labored so hard on our behalf. She wants UH to be winners on and off the field.

So, no
if any fan is hoping for a 100-6 repeat, they’ll be waiting until her chancellorship ends.

To further illustrate my position, no FBS team has put 100 points on an opponent since our 100-6 game. Why do you think that is?

Unfortunately, that distinction belongs to us. I’m confident that plenty of FBS programs could have put up those numbers, but they knew the backlash that would be hurled their way.

There have been some FBS programs put up 90 or more, including our game against SMU. There have been plenty of FCS and lower division programs put up 100 points. When South Dakota State put up 90 points on their opponent
their coach apologized.

ESPN didn’t exist in 1968, so we weren’t under the 24/7 cable sports spotlight and criticism that surely would have come our way. We can only imagine the vitriol that would be levied against us.

An article, written years later by The Atlantic, quoted the following individuals

Yeoman: I’m embarrassed that we could beat a team like Tulsa that bad.

Yeoman: I did not enjoy the game at all. The game was not pleasant.

Elmo Wright: We won, but the manner in which we won isn’t something to be proud of.

Columnist Frank Boggs: The latest NCAA stats show UH leading in 3 offensive categories. Four, counting bad manners.

Ken Bailey: I think people have become more cognizant of not allowing that to happen by not running up the score unmercifully.

I respect your opinion, but if you are looking forward to another 100-6 game, you place yourself at odds with the UH Chancellor, cable sports new services and many UH fans who would be content to beat a team 70-6 or 80-6, but not 100-6.

There aren’t many taboos in football, but that would be one of them.