GAMEDAY Thread: UCF @ UH ESPN2 6:00 PM CST (W 78-63)

As I pointed out on one of the other sites, even if we had Galen running the point this season we would struggle offensively. Dejon is at his best against man. Washington was a bad matchup for his game.

I wonder if UH keeps a plus/minus for each player?

Not so sure about that, Galen was a leader on the court and he improved his 3 pt shot last year.

Not taking anything away from the leadership Galen provided to the team but that has little to do with our comparative offensive struggles this season. Corey and Armoni’s threat from the 3-point line made everyone’s offense a little easier. How much zone did we see last year?

2 Likes

I’m ready for highlights.

Speaking of highlights, I was both surprised and disappointed not to see Nate’s tip to himself and breakaway slam as one of this morning’s Top 10

4 Likes

I’m starting to get a special feeling about this team. Feel like they will get better every game and they get better in each game too. Great group of guys and the coaching is top notch. Would love a little better shooting, but they are learning how to be effective without it.

1 Like

On the other hand, Hinton was planted, hands at side, and run over but called for blocking foul.

2 Likes

Dejon had a forgetful first half, but he was clutch in the second half. He hustled on defense . While Alley is one of my favorite hoopsters, you could see he was very reluctant to shoot
while DJ was 0fer for the game, although the free throws down the stretch were clutch
I can see why coach wanted him in late

But Fabian had a good first half and started out well in the second half. He must have said something during his squabble with the UCF kid that kept him on the bench the rest of the way

Kelvin said it was a matchup issue, that UCF was running 4 guards along with Smith. Look at the difference in the number of good looks they got the 1st half versus the second

I agree, it opened some lanes too but the biggest thing our defensive intensity did was create a few easy baskets and lots of free throws. I think we had like 16 steals
of course we also had 15 turnovers
I was really worried in the first half, but I liked the adjustments and the spunk the team showed going to the finish line

1 Like

They do have a plus minus

Figured you’d probably know!

The biggest disappointment is Dejon not developing a three point shot over the summer. He is having trouble driving because even in man to man, his defender backs up giving him the three point shot knowing he will not take it or if he does he will miss. I remember seeing him take two and miss.

I think he will continue to struggle this year at the offensive end. He is a good defensive player and his free throw shooting has been very good and why I think we will continue to see him at the end of games when we are leading.

2 Likes

I still say any offensive production from Harris means we’re plain nasty. We will be competitive every time Harris scores 6 or more.

That just means massive openings for white, grimes, and mills.

Unfortunately Chris will never be an offensive factor other than outbacks and occasional lob.just not part of his skill set. Good rebounder and outstanding shot blocker

I think this team is starting to show some control as well as their usual intensity. I think we’re going to be a lot better than some of you predict.

1 Like

Harris has really improved IMO from last year. Nope, he will never be an offensive force but he is exactly what this team needs, a big who can come off the bench, rebound and swat a few enemy shots while scoring occasionally when opponents forget about him
he could be a big difference maker down the stretch.
Like with so many players coach Sampson has been so very patient with Chris and I believe it will pay off
heck it already has

5 Likes

I agree with the improvement with Harris. It looks like he has worked on that move around the basket. He is not an offensive force but he is also not a liability on that end.

Haven’t seen him try to dribble lately, so that’s an improvement already.

4 Likes

Now if he could just catch every pass thrown to him.
But seriously he’s been great lately.

1 Like